Predator 224

Hello all so I have a new predator 224 and I’m going to install charging coils and a charging coil flywheel with e start. So my question is while I have it apart should I take the plastic cam out and install a factory metal cam from my parts 212, or should I just leave the plastic cam alone?

Thanks in advance - Nathan

it doesn't have a plastic cam, it has a plastic cam gear. its fine and will last longer then you and me lol there were briggs engines that actually had plastic camshafts, they held up just fine.

SAS289

The plastic cam gear is fine.

Just in case you think we're all full of it and decide to change it anyway.... If your parts 212 is not a hemi the cam won't fit a 224. The stock 224 cam is unique because the cam lobe width is narrower than other cams and the shaft in between the lobes is sized for clearance. Clearance needs to be checked when replacing the cam on a 224, even with the stock rod just to be safe.

The plastic cam gear is fine.

Just in case you think we're all full of it and decide to change it anyway.... If your parts 212 is not a hemi the cam won't fit a 224. The stock 224 cam is unique because the cam lobe width is narrower than other cams and the shaft in between the lobes is sized for clearance. Clearance needs to be checked when replacing the cam on a 224, even with the stock rod just to be safe.
Oh ok yeah I’m just going to leave the plastic cam. I’m not doing any performance mods just a air filter and jet.