Project bike for newbie. Trying to replace tires

Triley41395

Forgot these pics. Any help would be appreciated even if it is telling me to save my money.
Save your money
Just kidding,for me tires suck to change especially when they are old and have no give to them. You don't have to get new rims if your old ones are good,just getting the old tires off is a pain. After you get the old ones off setting the new ones in the sun for a few hours helps install go a little easier. But it will be fun when you get it finished.

I too had to cut my tires off with a cutting wheel. Mine were from 1968 and the metal rings of the tires were actually rusted to the rims. I played h-ll trying to get them off. I was hoping to salvage them because they were the originals, but no such luck. The rims were fine though after a little light sanding.

Here's the original post:

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/tires-and-tubes.175705/

Last edited:

chrisr

Do the bolts go through the wheel and holding it together? If so, once you get the bolts out of the rim splits making tire changes easier.

Last edited:

Triley41395

This is just my opinion but if 6 inch tires would be the way to go if they will fit. I have a bike with 4's and it just not my cup of tea that's for sure. You can use the one's that you have and see how you like them but their not for me. I will not even ride mine.

Do the bolts go through the wheel and holding it together? If so, once you get the bolts out of the rim splits making tire changes easier.
Yes, once you take the bolts out the rims will split. I lightly sanded and cleaned mine up at that point. I then stuck one half of a rim through one side of the new tire, tucked my new inner tube in making sure the valve stem is in the proper spot, then put the other half of the rim on and bolted it all back together, then inflated the tire.
Good luck to you.

I don’t think the rim will split because of the “axle” whatever you call that pipe that the mounting bolt goes through. It looks like the sprocket and brake disc are welded on.

This is just my opinion but if 6 inch tires would be the way to go if they will fit. I have a bike with 4's and it just not my cup of tea that's for sure. You can use the one's that you have and see how you like them but their not for me. I will not even ride mine.
I agree on going up to some 6" wheels. The bike will be much more stable with them than the 4" ones. I had one bike that was on 5" wheels and it wasn't very confidence inspiring.

Usually the flange for the axle doesn’t go all the way through both halves.

Id say they split apart.
Unfortunately, it is a one piece flange, I was able to get a good view of the inside. I’m gonna have to see if I can split the rim and at least get one side to move over by the caliper so I can get the tire over both at the same time. Wish me luck.