question about stock fh rod

I decided to just reinstall my stock rod/piston and use my Briggs like that until I get the money for a proper fuel system for my mods (Tilly and nice fuel tank) and my billet flywheel so my question is can I just reinstall the stock rod/piston with the same rod bolts that were originally on? The governor isn't on.... should I just use the arc rod I have (stock length)? Are the rod bolts on the arc rods reusable? I know I'm being really cheap (be nice please) but I seriously don't have the $$$ for this right now and I'm really tired of the governor kicking in on my tech power sport :(

Last edited:
I have reused rod bolts in stock rods many, many times. Even mixed and matched rod bolts. In fact I have never used a new bolt in an old stock rod.

Your stock carb will not allow enough revs to break the rod. (as long as good oil is used, the dipper doesn't break off, etc)

I have never used anything other than a stock flywheel. I've spun them up to 9600 rpm, no problem.
I have seen one blown up flywheel in my life, just happened to be on a 5hp flathead with a governor. It was, at one point, a shop class engine. It was assumed it had been handled improperly at some time.

And this was back in the early 80's when my uncle had the largest rental equipment shop in the area and a 2 acre junkyard full of small engines. I have seen a lot, but only one blown flywheel.

I have reused rod bolts in stock rods many, many times. Even mixed and matched rod bolts. In fact I have never used a new bolt in an old stock rod.

Your stock carb will not allow enough revs to break the rod. (as long as good oil is used, the dipper doesn't break off, etc)

I have never used anything other than a stock flywheel. I've spun them up to 9600 rpm, no problem.
I have seen one blown up flywheel in my life, just happened to be on a 5hp flathead with a governor. It was, at one point, a shop class engine. It was assumed it had been handled improperly at some time.

And this was back in the early 80's when my uncle had the largest rental equipment shop in the area and a 2 acre junkyard full of small engines. I have seen a lot, but only one blown flywheel.
jay - back in the '80's they probably made better parts for these motors.

what i can't understand is your insistence in recommending using parts
and materials that are clearly not rated for the out of spec operation
above what the mfgr states.

sooner or later some kid will heed your advice and run his 30 year old
HS-50 with no governor and will end up getting hurt by the schrapnel.

i've said my mind. no hard feelings. :thumbsup:

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
using the old rod bolts are not a good idea. I would recommend getting new bolts. using the rod would be fine but the bolts may be stretched and may break. use at your own risk. they cant be more than around $5.00-$10.00 for the set, probably less. best of luck.

Go read my post and think.

I typed what I have done. I didn't suggest following in my foot steps or anything similiar now did I?

You know what I read on an internet forum.... a guy said you can weld a tank when it's full of fuel. I have a fuel tank to weld up tomorrow...What do you think I'm going to do... use common sense, or just do what some unknown person said?

I'm getting tired of explaining myself, what if I post here that I jumped off a bridge....do you see where this is going?

The next day this forum is dead because everyone jumped off a bridge.

Well I'm rambling,
Again, I simply said what I have done. I didn't suggest anything.

Also, why do all the users complain about what I say, yet the "staff" has never even contacted me.

I know what the internet says, but I also know what happens in the real world.
And I'm starting to think this forum is a bit too uptight for me.
Just speaking my mind. Oh look at all my posts, pics gone. I'm backing out. Thanks for letting me know that my type isn't welcome around here.
:thumbsup:

Oh, and one other thing. When you buy a Predator engine it clearly states in the owners manual to NOT INSTALL THIS ENGINE ON A VEHICLE!

Isn't a minibike a vehicle? So it's ok to have a whole forum on how we're putting these on vehicles? Looks like we need to get rid of that forum. We don't want OldMiniBikes to get sued now do we.

Go read my post and think.

I typed what I have done. I didn't suggest following in my foot steps or anything similiar now did I?

You know what I read on an internet forum.... a guy said you can weld a tank when it's full of fuel. I have a fuel tank to weld up tomorrow...What do you think I'm going to do... use common sense, or just do what some unknown person said?

I'm getting tired of explaining myself, what if I post here that I jumped off a bridge....do you see where this is going?

The next day this forum is dead because everyone jumped off a bridge.

Well I'm rambling,
Again, I simply said what I have done. I didn't suggest anything.

Also, why do all the users complain about what I say, yet the "staff" has never even contacted me.

I know what the internet says, but I also know what happens in the real world.
And I'm starting to think this forum is a bit too uptight for me.
Just speaking my mind. Oh look at all my posts, pics gone. I'm backing out. Thanks for letting me know that my type isn't welcome around here.
I really don't wanna get into this but imajine being a dad and finding his sond has to get his leg amputated because a rod blew into his leg :shrug: because a kid will read this and think oh so if I take my gov out I can race and hold it open, also no offence but phil said no hard feeling, he didn't mean to say anything against you, but again most of use on here no a little more about motors than your common joe,//// also if yor rebuilding the engine just get new rod bolts and save your self some throble:thumbsup:

im pretty shure you guys could be banned for talking bout running an engine ungoverned withought good parts:confused::confused:
:doah: sorry guys. Even if that rule doesn't apply here I guess its still a bad idea. I sold my Tecumseh motor this morning. I didn't get much but at least I don't have to worry about it throwing a rod now. I'm going to use that money and some more to buy a billet arc flywheel and new rod bearings for my arc rod because the one I have are not shiny anymore and have scratches from hitting each other over the years in the box.

Oh, and one other thing. When you buy a Predator engine it clearly states in the owners manual to NOT INSTALL THIS ENGINE ON A VEHICLE!

Isn't a minibike a vehicle? So it's ok to have a whole forum on how we're putting these on vehicles? Looks like we need to get rid of that forum. We don't want OldMiniBikes to get sued now do we.
but we are doing it at are own risk witch is completely fine. and we all know the possibiltys of what can happen

I'm also taking a risk on getting pulled over every time I ride my minibike. That is why I don't want to buy a predator motor and buy a billet rod and flywheel. Building my Briggs would cost me the same as of I were to buy a predator with a billet flywheel and rod

I'm also taking a risk on getting pulled over every time I ride my minibike. That is why I don't want to buy a predator motor and buy a billet rod and flywheel. Building my Briggs would cost me the same as of I were to buy a predator with a billet flywheel and rod
exactly, we are braking rules, but we are putting OUR own lifes into OUR own hands, jay 727 you don't need to worrie for use

I really don't wanna get into this but imajine being a dad and finding his sond has to get his leg amputated because a rod blew into his leg :shrug: because a kid will read this and think oh so if I take my gov out I can race and hold it open, also no offence but phil said no hard feeling, he didn't mean to say anything against you, but again most of use on here no a little more about motors than your common joe,//// also if yor rebuilding the engine just get new rod bolts and save your self some throble:thumbsup:
Save trouble? good luck finding just rod bolts for a stock flathead rod, especially these days. I don't think they even sold them seperate ever.

And you have got to be on crack if you think someone is going to get a leg amputated by a blown rod. Thats absurd.

I'm 41, I've had access to thousands of small engines, I've blown hundreds up on purpose. I started when I was 8 years old, on a lawn mower, WITH A BLADE!!!

The worst thing I ever had happen was a horstman H beam rod come out of my engine at full speed, at elbow length away.
Do you know what it takes to throw a horstman h beam out of your engine? I mean out out. Guess what injury I recieved? Nothing.

Second worse. Me and my brother took an air compressor connected it to a 3hp removed the head to watch the pistons go up and down. Well that got boring so we swapped the big pulley onto the engine and small pulley onto the compressor. Long story short a rod let go and the piston shot into the sky. We never found it. I might be lucky I don't have a piston imbedded in my skull today, but thank god back then I wasn't dumb enough to put my face over it.

Sorry OP.
This seems to happen all too often with my posts. I need to focus on getting OldMiniBikes to ban Predator engines because they don't belong on vehicles.
No hard feelings, just everyone tells me a flathead flywheel is going to amputate some poor kid over and over and over.

Well I've made it from age 8 to age 41 and never had a flywheel of anykind blow up on me. Yes, I've even put those aluminum lawn mower flywheels on a 5hp flathead. Grenades, yet I never had one blow up. Some people can fall off a ladder and break their neck screwing in a light bulb too. The world is a dangerous place, better throw your hobbies away, they might kill you.

Oh get your OldMiniBikes billet though. The sales pitch thats been sucessfully beaten into everyones head on this site.

Amputation from a connecting rod, holy shit I've heard it all now.

Save trouble? good luck finding just rod bolts for a stock flathead rod, especially these days. I don't think they even sold them seperate ever.

And you have got to be on crack if you think someone is going to get a leg amputated by a blown rod. Thats absurd.

I'm 41, I've had access to thousands of small engines, I've blown hundreds up on purpose. I started when I was 8 years old, on a lawn mower, WITH A BLADE!!!

The worst thing I ever had happen was a horstman H beam rod come out of my engine at full speed, at elbow length away.
Do you know what it takes to throw a horstman h beam out of your engine? I mean out out. Guess what injury I recieved? Nothing.

Second worse. Me and my brother took an air compressor connected it to a 3hp removed the head to watch the pistons go up and down. Well that got boring so we swapped the big pulley onto the engine and small pulley onto the compressor. Long story short a rod let go and the piston shot into the sky. We never found it. I might be lucky I don't have a piston imbedded in my skull today, but thank god back then I wasn't dumb enough to put my face over it.

Sorry OP.
This seems to happen all too often with my posts. I need to focus on getting OldMiniBikes to ban Predator engines because they don't belong on vehicles.
No hard feelings, just everyone tells me a flathead flywheel is going to amputate some poor kid over and over and over.

Well I've made it from age 8 to age 41 and never had a flywheel of anykind blow up on me. Yes, I've even put those aluminum lawn mower flywheels on a 5hp flathead. Grenades, yet I never had one blow up. Some people can fall off a ladder and break their neck screwing in a light bulb too. The world is a dangerous place, better throw your hobbies away, they might kill you.

Oh get your OldMiniBikes billet though. The sales pitch thats been sucessfully beaten into everyones head on this site.

Amputation from a connecting rod, holy shit I've heard it all now.
maybe I over reacted but what if your kid came home with a pice of con rod in his leg, wonder why the heck he did it I had a friend end up with a piece of conn rod in his leg, slashed him down to the bone :thumbsup:

maybe I over reacted but what if your kid came home with a pice of con rod in his leg, wonder why the heck he did it I had a friend end up with a piece of conn rod in his leg, slashed him down to the bone :thumbsup:
Thats bull shit. You have to have a limb right against the engine for it to even break the skin.

Ever have a max torque clutch drum fall off? Probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but there 6 grenades in there that will fly. I've had a clutch drum come off and the shoes went through the walls and the ceiling. We better write up another disclaimer and brainwash everyone with it.

Thats bull shit. You have to have a limb right against the engine for it to even break the skin.

Ever have a max torque clutch drum fall off? Probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but there 6 grenades in there that will fly. I've had a clutch drum come off and the shoes went through the walls and the ceiling. We better write up another disclaimer and brainwash everyone with it.
don't belive me that fine, didn't ask you two and yea I no what your talking about maybe I cant find some old pics, his legs were crossed behind the motor and hes siny so its not that hard to cut him up:thumbsup:

Was he starting the engine with his foot holding it down like in your video?

I'd like to know how you got fuel into an engine with no carb. Fire hazard? no never. We used to bolt stuff down. You choose to put your foot on the cylinder head. I'm starting to see why I never got injured.