Questions for David Wulf about His Frame Building Jig

I read and re-read David Wulfs "Scratch Build" thread many times. I really like doing fabrication myself and have picked up many ideas from his thread. A big thank you to David for all of the photos and documentation of his build.

I am just an amateur fabricator, but have a lot of fun building things. I have been into hotrods for about 35 years. My current car is a 62 Chevy Nova. I have done tons of fabrication work on it. Mods include a stout 383, 6 speed manual trans, larger transmission tunnel, narrowed 12 bolt read end, relocated leaf springs, mini tubed, all the body work and paint. The car is nearly done so its time for new project. I found this site several months ago and read it daily now. I have a few ideas rolling around in my head about what I want to build. I want to build a frame from scratch. I know it won't be an Old Mini Bike, but I want the challenge of building it myself. I would like to ask David if he would be willing to share some information about the frame jig he built? Specifically what size angle iron did he use? Is it 3"? I would like to have some dimensions of the jig parts. I do not have a dedicated welding table so this jig seems like it would be a great place for me to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ron M

Just some random pics of my frame jig so you can see it from different angles. Its made using 2 x 3 tubing and the head is from Chop Source. You can make your own head or you can check out Chop Source. I was lazy and just bought one. It is the same basic style as David's.

Doug

Last edited:
Hey guys I don't get on here much and Chipper sent me a text telling me someone had questions. The tube is 2x2 and the angle is 3" , that's tacked to 1" square as a base . The head piece I made cause the ones you buy cost way to much .

Hi David,
Thanks for the information. I learned a ton of good fabrication tips from reading your thread. That was a sweet build. I plan on using some of your fabrication ideas when I get started on my build.

One more question for you if you don't mind. What was the wheel base of your scratch build? It looks like about 46"??
Ron

62civa the wheelbase is at 48 right now , but that will change shortly . When I did this frame it was my first and I made a mistake or two . First one material for the neck I use a piece of 1 1/4" and 1" .125 wall tube with a bronze bushing and a 3/4 bolt . Second mistake the rake ended up being 31 degrees with wheels on and sitting on the ground , was aiming at 29 . Although the bike rode great in a straight line but didn't turn like I wanted .
So I have found a peace of 1 5/8 " Dom tubing that is 1 3/8 ID so a 1 3/8 bearing fits perfectly . When I have time the old neck will get cut off and the new one welded back on at 27 degrees.