re-gearing a Baja db30s

I am retired from Tate's Auto Service in Western NC and I started working on Briggs, probably like you, at age 10. I know little about gearing. I bought a 2.8 hp Baja DB30s bike and it will not pull a 30 degree grade. Speed is good, runs fine. I think this bike either needs a jackshaft kit or a converter kit (like Comet) to boost pulling ability. Is this a good idea or should I spring for much more and a larger engine? I was referred here by OldMiniBikes Warhouse and was told a jackshaft kit for this bike was for sale by hotrodminibike on this forum. I am new and any advice will be appreciated! Who am I? Google adobekid1.

Depends on who is riding it. There's no way I would turn a kid loose on a 6.5 clone. The jack shaft makes the 2.8 rideable unless it's an adult.

I have one of each and the clone has scared me more than once. Both minis are running jack shafts

the truth is spken here. the reason i have the j/s for sale is because my daughter has been riding badger 100 with it and she is now riding the hf clone on the db30. putting a predator in the badger. buy my j/s. TTS

rodmini

You'll never regret throwing a $100 predator 212 engine in it from harbor freight
I agree with the 6.5 upgrade, you can also limit the amount of power on the engine easily with a twist of a screw ;)! But keep in mind that you are not only going to drop 100 on the 6.5 HF engine, you need a clutch and engine mounting plate to complete...you are looking at dropping another 70-100 bones :(

I ordered a jackshaft kit from hotrodminibike.com and I am extremely pleased! The jackshaft preformed just as advertised and made a world of difference! I can now easily pull a 30 degree grade and the top speed seems not to be any less. The reason I went to the jackshaft (for now) is I bought this bike for my two grandboys , 6 and 7, and they will soon be able to ride it. This will be fine for them. I am 69 now, and have fond memories of a scooter I built at age 12 (I learned to weld then) and I had a Cushman Doodlebug at 13. Loved the freedom! Sometime I will post photos of the scooters I had.