Restoring old 3hps

Ok so I do temp work with a roofing company sometimes. Theyve been around since 1929.

With that being said they have a decent size warehouse that is full of OLD motorized equipment, such as generators and laddervators (gas powered hoist on ladder track)

They are trying to clear out some old stuff and I asked them when they get rid of those old laddervators in the corner to call me because I want them.

Well they are probably going to throw away 3 or 4 of them and Im taking them.

They are 3hp models, Briggs of course.

The units themselves appear to be 20-40 years old they have the briggs decals on the top curve of the shroud. Gas tank is connected to the carb. Kill switch is a metal tab that you press on the plug.

A guy there says he couldnt get them running when they do the random check over everything in the place, says they havent even been used in 25+y years and doesnt even know why they keep them.

My question, Is anyone interested in 3hp briggs flatheads?
I was going to run over them and replace some parts and maybe find factory paint and get them clean and running. I used to work at a lawnmower shop and Im really mechanically inclined, just need to do some reading on those carbs as I havent messed with one in a few years.

And no Im not going to tear these motors up as soon as i get them. Im not taking the side cover off or the head, just going to look at the cylinder wall and make sure its not gouged and work on the carbs.

anyways.... more details when i get them to my house.

Last edited:

hoppy

exactly how old are they? id love to do another "resto" motor like the one i just finsihed.
let me know if your willing to part with one once you get them. i live in CT.

hoppy

mini motors............thats the one i just finished. thanks for posting the link! these little engines are really just easy to do. they are small, manageable, somthing you could actually bang out in a weekend if you had the time to.

i say get and go nuts!

Wow thats a nice motor all finished however that is wayy older than the ones im looking at.

I almost want to restore one and put in on a stand or something, a display of some sort.

Im going to try and get as many as I can but Im not going to be greedy and beg. The boss man might even just give them to me as just about everytime were BSing in the shop i always bring them up. I worked at this place in 2006 and theyre still in the same exact spot. So, I dont think theyre attached to them in anyway... theres also sick metal fab tools there that are atleast 100 years old. The 8 foot metal brake that I love using and old Pittsburgh seamers and rollers. A ton of history in this warehouse.

there has to be like 10 motors there.

If I have time tomorrow Im going to write down a model number and get a better idea of the age.

They look something like this one here. except they are red and black. Im pretty sure its original paint with the briggs diamond sticker on it. Roughly in this kind of condition, some worse, some better. I cant imagine them having that many hours run time either.

Update when they are in my hands, yes I will consider a sell or trade. Originally, if I was able to get 3, i wanted to restore all of them, put one away, use one on a project, and sell one to a fellow OMBer that will take care of it. we'll see what happens.:thumbsup:

Hoppy- I loved that thread. So much, that I also posted it here;

ASECC • View topic - Found this in another forum

They're a small group, less than 200. But totally about small engines that aren't hit or miss. I had been given a reel type lawnmower with a Tecumseh/Lauson motor, and in researching it, I found the ASECC, as well as the Lawnmower Forum, and OldMiniBikes. I've found all 3 forums to be friendly and helpful. I'm hoping that I'll have pictures to post of my two projects by the first of the year.

Yeah there is some demand for them.. Some of the LilIndian and Cat minibikes used them.. even if just to have it for a motor, they pretty well work forever if ya wanna tinker on it for a day, it'll run for sure.. :shrug:

The first two digits of the (CODE) number are the year the engine was made.. Down the side of the shroud, near the carburetor, will be MODEL-TYPE-CODE

OR if it's OLD OLD like pre 60's, they still used a different coding system, and usually have an aluminum tag riveted to the motor somewhere.. On the 3 horse type engines 6BS style motors it would be on the square steel plate that deflects air around the rear of the jug..

Ok so I have great news, good news, and bad news......

great news is i think im going to be able to get 4 of them.

I looked at them and they are all different years, but all 3 hp

one is the same as that copper colored one i posted but its silver.

another i managed to get a code from one

80332 1537 01 88031108. this must be from a newer one.

another has the riveted stamp one the side.

another one has a decal thats from the 50s.

BAD NEWS.....they all have a gear reduction.:cursing:

good news is im taking them anyway and im going to have to find side covers and cranks for them. I really want to restore atleast 1 or 2

where would I be able to get cranks and sidecovers, or is the gear reduction housing just screwed on the side with the 4 bolts?

would I be able to replace the crank and just get a new bearing for the rods?

how much am i looking at for 4 cranks? and is it possible to get them NOS or dare i say find used cranks?

thanks for the help guys and ill keep you posted. trying to get them home this weekend and pics for you.

hmmmmmmmmm.....gear reduction. I dont know much about that to be honest. im assuming the gear reduction is to increase tourque to lift those heavy loads. thus leaving you with a tourqy motor that has no top end. I just pulled that out of my ass.:shrug: 4 NOS cranks, etc. could start getting pricey. My opinion and its only that.........make them run, tear them down, blast or clean(whatever your method), put back together with a new gasket kit, make pretty on outside, new plug. Whalla.........shop shelf art.

OR..............sell all these motors and take the proceeds and buy and older briggs with the kickstart and restore that.:thumbsup:

The number you posted says it was born on March 11, 1988. If you can read a parts diagram, you can get one at the Briggs web site. From the front page, hit "support", then "manuals", and key in your number. Looks to me like the gear reduction is an add on unit, and removes without any extra parts needed.

If you are going to take one and restore it to sit on a stand, it may be a good idea to keep the gear reduction. On something like a power bar stool, I would think gear reduction would be a handy thing, seein's how those critters are a bit top heavy to begin with.

I looked up the part number for the crankshaft and it's 493633.
This happens to be the same part number of the nos short blocks I have.

These short blocks have bearing sidecovers and not all 3hp motors had them.

Mike,
Im in North Haven, i might be interested in one of these if you are selling. I have 2 older mini's i am fixing up , and 1 of them will only fit a 2 - 3 HP engine, the 5 HP is too large.
email me if you want and we could hook up.

mhaeckel@sbcglobal.net

UPDATE!!!!!!!

I finally got the motors to my house. I have 4 of them all 3hp.

I took a look at one and its from 1977. the other ones i cant see because the choke lever is in front of the stamp. It was dark as well.

Im going to be do maintenance on my car tomorrow and ill be greasy so I will take a better look at them.

pics on the way...

PICS for clicks:smile:

They are all caked up with dirt/tar and whatever else you can see. I plan on starting with one first and checking it out. The carbs have to be in serious need of help because theres tags on each unit from when they were last looked at and theyre from 2004. I managed to get one started by pouring gas in the plug hole and some new gas in. It blew a lot of smelly smoke, probably old gas, but it idled and responded to throttle.

As of right now I dont know what I plan on doing with these. I would like restore one like new and put it on a display type of stand so it can sit. I will consider selling one or two, or trading also but id like to get all of them in running condition and cleaned up before that happens.

Im feeling out a trade offer here, I want a 7-10 hp motor that may need work, for a running 3 hp. Maybe someone has an extra one laying around that has no use. This is JUST a feeler just trying to see whats out there for a trade, even though to some my offer may seem a little unbalanced.

updates soon when I have the time to tackle these, probably not till next weekend.

Yea I know, I mentioned that before. I have no problem searching for cranks to get these workable. I really hope they are regular cranks but i know they arent. Its just I havent seen the cranks so theres still a chance:laugh:

what is the going rate for a crank? and i do need to get bearings for the rod and gaskets to go with that?

I plan on making a supercharger with the gear reductions too:wink: