Reuniting w/ my 52yr old Cat 400X

FunWithStuff

Wasn’t disagreeing. Just NOT interested. Fantastic find, And good luck with your mini
Haven’t seen a scrub brake on a 400x. Private msg derekbmn. Cats are his passion
Oh I see. When you said "Not" I thought you meant her bike was not a 400X. Yes the mainline 400X's didn't use a scrub brake. They used a Kelsey Hayes brake caliper which the frame in Manchester1's photos has the mounting tab by the sprocket where you could mount the caliper so it's more than likely a 400X.

Saw the tab for the brake caliper. So you’re saying someone bastardized the bike by adding the misaligned welded nuts and scrub brake and shortening the deck the motor bolts to?

FunWithStuff

Saw the tab for the brake caliper. So you’re saying someone messed up the bike by adding the misaligned welded nuts and scrub brake and shortening the deck the motor bolts to?
Yeah that scrub brake was definitely added by someone because something like that would not come from the factory. I'm pretty sure Cats only used scrub brakes on smaller bikes like the 250X's & 300X's. My guess is that the brake caliper broke and they couldn't find one to replace it so that scrub brake was an improvization. This is definitely a bigger Cat frame (400X) that someone welded a scrub brake on.

And yes the deck where the motor mounts too does look like it has been shortened. It was probably to help add the scrub brake in.

FunWithStuff

Double indemnity on front forks also an addition? Possibly to beef up front end that’s been compromised?
I'm not sure what's up with the extra tubing on the forks. I've never seen that modification before. You can see a mud flap was added on the front fender too so someone really modified this bike. It was probably used for trail riding or mudding and was probably ridden rough which might be why the caliper and other original parts are missing.

Totally agree with u on the mudding. We had some trails close to the house we referred to as “the torture track”. The track was thru low growth scrub and don’t remember their being a flat, level spot anywhere. The property was a horse graveyard. No seriously, the accessible quarter of possibly a 15acre lot was a thriving horse stable and pony ride farm for kids and, you guessed it, the rest was a burial ground for the aged and/or infirmed horses. My mother had worked there as a youth cleaning the stables and brushing out the horses. They never sent the departed ones to the “glue factory” back in the day. They buried them on the back of the property w/ a backhoe. Hence, the humpy, bumpy, sideways rolling terrain everywhere. Appreciated my mini bike way too much to ever abuse it on that kinda’ terrain. But certainly jumped our bicycles there quite often. Looks like that wasn’t the case for Manchester1’s find. The bike still looks incredibly solid and w/ some TLC I’m sure it’ll get restored to it’s former glory. Again, FANTASTIC FIND !!!

I believe that is a 1969 400X. The frame looks gold colored and the engine mounting plate appears to be shorter from the factory, also it has a Briggs on it. In 1970 the color was candy apple red, longer engine plate? and Tecumseh engine. 1969 400x.jpg 1970 400x.jpg

Last edited:

FunWithStuff

I believe that is a 1969 400X. The frame looks gold colored and the engine mounting plate appears to be shorter from the factory, also it has a Briggs on it. In 1970 the color was candy apple red, longer engine plate? and Tecumseh engine. View attachment 307910 View attachment 307911
It could definitely be a 1969 Cat 400X. Yes the first year they were a little smaller. However I don't think that is a Briggs mounted on Manchester's bike I'm pretty sure it's a Tecumseh because it has the Tecumseh tank & Taylor Spark arrestor muffler on it. Could be a replacement engine like an HS50 like you said.

Really like the 400X you have as well that is a nice survivor!

It could definitely be a 1969 Cat 400X. Yes the first year they were a little smaller. However I don't think that is a Briggs mounted on Manchester's bike I'm pretty sure it's a Tecumseh because it has the Tecumseh tank & Taylor Spark arrestor muffler on it. Could be a replacement engine like an HS50 like you said.

Really like the 400X you have as well that is a nice survivor!
Thanks, another project for another day after I get through all my "other" projects! lol