Rings for a Tecumseh HS-50

old-timer

Scamming Member
Anyone got a set of piston rings for a HS-50 ?
I've got one that I'm in the process of rebuilding and that's all I'm lacking.

Vic

well Vic, this is the proverbial "can of worms" ....is the cylinder excessivley worn?..has it previously been overbored (piston should be stamped as so...) ? ...is it worn tapered...?....is it work hardened or "glazed"...?...does it need to be bored and honed or just honed to provide a fresh surface for the new rings to seat on...?? .how will you hone it?? flex-hone...ball hone.... expanding drill hone...? .what will you use for lubricant when honing....did you thoroughly scrub the cylinder with clean with hot soapy water and a brush so it's microscopically clean...otherwise you wasted your time :doah:

..or maybe just pay a shop to professionally hone it and clean it....:shrug:

In the end....it's only a lawnmower engine...assuming it's still std. bore and there is no appreciable ridge left at the top of the cylinder, you can do a quickie hone job...wash it out good...check to make sure the replacement rings don't have excessive end gap ....and let it rip.

Last edited:

old-timer

Scamming Member
I already honed the cylinder with a flex hone. I didn't need much, as it was in real good shape. No ridge, no scratches other than the normal ring type. Cleaned up the valves and ground the seats. Guides look good.

I have a commercial gunk tank I use when honing and it works good. I dont believe this motor has ever been apart from what I see.

Vic

old-timer

Scamming Member
the rings should still be available through a small engine site,I believe this is the std. size ring #33568. double check on it to make sure.

Thanks I'll check,
I've seen a couple set on ebay, but I thought the price was a little steep.
As I recall $24.95 plus shipping, and that was just the 3 rings.

Heck I buy 5hp Briggs complete rebuild kits for $39.95 :shrug:

Just saying lol.

Vic

Check Partstree.com or Outdoordistributors.com, p/n is 33567 replaced by 40004. But best you double check based on your model/type motor. Available cheaper on Ebay.