Roper?

Motra

Is this a Roper? Because the original Sears document that I took this image from said that the source for these bikes was Bird - yet everybody calls them Roper.

Frankly I'm not so sure I buy this whole Roper thing. There's a phenomenon known as "public perception" where something is perceived as fact based on public opinion rather than absolute truth.

Does anybody have any evidence that these bikes were ever produced by Roper? I know they were built by Bird because I've seen the proof of that but can anyone show me that the manufacture of them ever switched to Roper?

I'm not trying to say I'm right, you're wrong. I'm just really curious to know if this Roper thing is actual truth or if it's all just a misguided rumor that's gotten way out of hand.

I have a 10" wheeled frame that has a Roper Corporation sticker. All of the others I've had said Sears Roebuck. Roper became a Sears brand, but was a seperate company. Sears must have had Bird make them as Ropers. Roper did supposedly manufacture mowers and such before part of it was bought by Sears. The earlier ones were no doubt Birds, and I always thought Bird made these too til I got one with the Roper Corp. label. The Bird, Sears, and Roper labels were all alike other than the names. Before that I just assumed Sears contracted this out like they did appliances, and stuck the Roper name on it. My Roper dryer was made by Whirlpool, and is labeled that way.:shrug::confused: Here's a history of Roper Industries. http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/roper-industries-inc-history/

Last edited: