runs fine but wont idle correctly

After picking up the minibike from the autozone my son started the bike up noticing that the engine is a lot more quiet. When he rode it it almost flipped him off because of the torque which took some getting used to haha. The next day he rode it to his friends house and came back and was working fine. However, on the third day when he tried to start it up it would not start without pulling the throttle at the same time. Next the motor wouldn't even idle on the start position without dying in 7 seconds but would still run if you chocked it quickly. Now whenever the throttle is pulled a disturbing rubbing sound occurs and it just shuts off immediately. We tinkered with the idle a bit but it still wont work. Could it be the clutch?

capguncowboy

Sounds like the clutch is worn out. I would recommend getting a decent quality clutch, and keep it oiled. A drop of motor oil on the bushing (around the snap ring) for ever 3-4 hours of riding. If you climb any hills on it, let it cool off before getting on it. Those little bushing cook fast if they're not properly cared for

Ok thank you were going to remove the clutch tomorrow and try lubricating it but I would be surprised if it was already worn out after we've only been running it for three days

Ok thank you were going to remove the clutch tomorrow and try lubricating it but I would be surprised if it was already worn out after we've only been running it for three days
The fact that the bike lurches forward could be as Dakota said, leaking air- and increasing RPM as a result, which is engaging the clutch.

I don't mess with these engines, but understand they can be prone to air leaks at the intake.

Also, don't rule out the pull start recoil mechanism for strange noises. If the pawl area of the recoil gets out of whack, it will make a lot of noise, and in most cases, cause the engine to bog and shut down.

if you have only had it for a short time and it is giving you problems i would bring it back and have it exchanged and take more care with the next one :thumbsup: what kind of mini bike is it from pep boys :shrug: do you have a pic ?