Rupp Knowledge Test

j57little

Below are questions where many Rupp experts might have answers. The prize for providing the most correct answers may be limited to epic bragging rights, but the answers may also help me in my restoration efforts. Some statements below are deliberately false - just testing!

True or False:

1. The correct engine model number for 1971 Roadster 2 is 55355C.
2. For Rupp models with 12-inch wheels, a 28 spoke version was used in 1972.
3. The correct seat for 1971 - 1975 Roadsters and Black Widow has larger letters. The smaller Roman letters are incorrect.
4. The lighting coil for Rupps put out an amazing 65 Watts.
5. All Rupp mini bike frames were painted black from 1972 on as a cost-savings measure.
6. Rupp foot pegs were highly rust resistant because of their zinc plating.

Good luck!!!!

capguncowboy

1. correct
2. BlackWidows have been known to have both 24 and 28 spoke wheels, even in 1971
3. I think the Brown Rupps used the small print (1973)
4. That's amazing
5. This is true
6. Also amazing, but it makes sense.

That really is some good info though. Thanks for sharing

1. False. That # is correct for 71 enduro,hustler,or BW. Roadster is 55356C
2. Capgun is right
3-6 I think are all true.

Last edited:

j57little

4. More amazing than fact. Actually, I believe the wattage was only 35 watts, making just enough power to barely drive the lights.
6. I believe the footpegs were not plated, explaining their always terrible condition, but you can buy plated replacements. That may be a break from prototype, but that's one I'll take!

Your name came up last night in conversation with another member. Small world!

Jack

Rupp 72

3 is false, i had a original 1972 scrambler with short roman letters. i thought the big letters were 70 and 71 only but i will look into that and make sure

j57little

Very good! You got #1 right!

Correct answers are (I believe):
1 F - 55356C is correct
2 T - I am told that 1971 Roadster 2's made early in the year were also 28 spoke. I am told the 24 spoke change was another cost savings measure.
3 ??? I've seen many black seats with the small letters, including Black Widows and Roadster 2's, but now I do not know which is correct. One theory is that the Black Widows had the reflector instead of a tail lamp and that necessitated the smaller font - not sure about that.
4 F - it's 35 Watts
5 T - Very true. By 1972 the mini bike bubble was beginning to collapse. Reducing the product line and painting all frames black was Rupp's response.
6 ??? Replacement parts are available plated or unplated. Plating adds minimal cost, but one reason to offer an unplated replacement might be to model more exactly after the original. My original thought was this was false, but appreciate verification.

Thanks,
Jack