Rupp SS-5!

Rupp 72

Just picked up this SS-5, one of the much harder to find rupps out there. Needs a lot but i do have the jackshaft assembly and front fender. This was one of the last bikes Mickey Rupp helped design in 1973. Originally came with a "HSMB50" tecumseh engine and a Dellorto MB22A carburetor. Should be a fun one to ride. If anyone has some other info please share:thumbsup:

delray

nate had the bike over at my house the other day to show me the bike and to pickup a 5hp from me. we pulled the bike out of his truck and rolled it up next to my thunderbolt. they look about the same size. the only real differents was the rupp has a 16 rear and front and my thunderbolt at a 14 rear and 16 front. very cool bike to see. i never seen one in person before. i would have to say that it's a rare one to find nate...:thumbsup:
20160322_134148.jpg

Rupp 72

I look in my rupp manual and it is actually a 16 inch rear and 17 inch front wheel. And we will have some fun with these bikes on the Windber trails! I'll need that bigger rear sprocket to have any chance of making it up the hills though... lol

Cool find. I do want to see how it compares to the Speedway GreenHorn I got out of the Windber boneyard last year.

Here it is next to the Thunderbolt Don S. (pickup camper on the hill at Windber) got this past fall.
20150927_153609-sm.jpg

Here it is after repaint.
20151205_165247-sm.jpg

See you at Windber......

EDIT: I have a Rupp TC drive system extra if you need it. (Clutch & Driven)

Last edited:

Rupp 72

Looks awesome! I hope to have mine up and running by Windber but will not be restored for a while. Just too many projects...

Rupp 72

Does anybody have a picture of an original SS-5 exhaust they could share? I'm confused as to where the exhaust mounts and what it looks like.

Rupp 72

Thank you Fistfullabar and Harleys Papa! Dang that's one sweet bike! I'll make mine a rider for now and restore it someday

I have (3) SS-5's each with a different type of exhaust. The factory exhaust is shown above & you can buy a repro from Blackwidow Motorsports. The challenge is finding a Dellorto carb MB22A carb. I use a Dellorto UA19 carb with an HS50 Dellorto intake on one bike & regular HS50 carbs on the others.

Another challenge is finding a rear fender. I bought a couple from a guy in CA a few years ago that are excellent fiberglass repro's. The mold was made from one of Buddy Baker's NOS fenders.

Good luck on the restoration.

markus

Rupp72, Any chance you could get me the model numbers on the engine off it (or the crankshaft part number) and does it have an extended crank? trying to find BB crankshaft numbers for the HS50's and if they made extended ones for them as well.

thank you

Rupp 72

Never thought i would find an original engine and rear wheel for sale but i got lucky i guess. An original SS5 HS50 with 3 inch crank, lighted flywheel, and studded shroud. All equipped with the original exhaust, carb and clutch. The rear wheel is a hard piece to find with the original brake and tire in good shape. I also picked up the headlight and original rear fender too. Really excited because now there is really nothing stopping me from fixing up this bike!

delray

nice nate......:thumbsup:
looks like we will have to run the thunderbolt up against the rupp ss-5 someday.......:scooter:............:scooter:

markus

Fantastic find! Would you mind sharing the engine id number?
I'd be curious as well to see if it meshed with the only info I could ever find in the Tecumseh books for HS50 engine numbers using the extended shaft:

I did find the numbers for what should be an SS5 engine today so here's some useless trivia for you guys and gals: Tecumseh only made 2 HS50's with an extended BB crank (part number 33837) 1972-1979 a 67050 and a 67051, the 51 being for 20 degree slant with a lighted magneto so that would be the one.