Rupp TC belt surface question

I am cleaning up my torque converter now and wondered about the inner surface that the belt rides on.

I attached pictures of the drive unit, and I knocked a bit of the rough stuff off the surface but didn't want to take it too far.

The picture maybe makes it look worse than it is, it's fairly smooth but I didn't want to polish it up if it would adversely affect performance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

tc.jpg

I wouldn't know a Rupp if it hit me in the head Paul. :laugh: But I have messed with Comets and Tote Gote's Climb-Away clutch, and those inner surfaces were smooth, and some parts of it chrome.

On some of them, the corrosion was part and parcel of black rubber burned into it, all in one ugly streak. I've never had a problem sanding them smooth at the smoothest abrasive pads that would still do the job, followed by a wire brush wheel polish.

My thought was that the most important aspect of the operation was the belt's ability to move up and down within both driver and driven, and do it smoothly. I don't think you can polish it too much. But I wouldn't remove so much metal trying to achieve a non-porous surface that I created flat spots, or uneven places with my abrasives either.

I don't know why the several experts haven't chimed in, except that sometimes folks don't want to attempt to answer a question that might be wrong. Me, I don't care. LOL. I make it SMOOTH. Belts like it smooth.

capguncowboy

Where is the bushing that rides the collar of the backplate?

I don't have one in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the larger ring in this photo rides on the inner portion so it doesn't rub the belt when you're at idle

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Havasu Dave.

I was afraid if the surface was too rough it might chew up belts and not operate smoothly, and if it was too polished there would be belt slippage.

That's a good idea about doing the abrasive pads and wire brush wheel, I will give that a shot.

Paul

I wouldn't know a Rupp if it hit me in the head Paul. :laugh: But I have messed with Comets and Tote Gote's Climb-Away clutch, and those inner surfaces were smooth, and some parts of it chrome.

On some of them, the corrosion was part and parcel of black rubber burned into it, all in one ugly streak. I've never had a problem sanding them smooth at the smoothest abrasive pads that would still do the job, followed by a wire brush wheel polish.

My thought was that the most important aspect of the operation was the belt's ability to move up and down within both driver and driven, and do it smoothly. I don't think you can polish it too much. But I wouldn't remove so much metal trying to achieve a non-porous surface that I created flat spots, or uneven places with my abrasives either.

I don't know why the several experts haven't chimed in, except that sometimes folks don't want to attempt to answer a question that might be wrong. Me, I don't care. LOL. I make it SMOOTH. Belts like it smooth.

Thanks for the picture, it's nice to see the surface.

I have the idler bushing/ring, my picture doesn't show all the parts...just the ones I am working on.

Paul

Where is the bushing that rides the collar of the backplate?

I don't have one in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the larger ring in this photo rides on the inner portion so it doesn't rub the belt when you're at idle

Last edited: