Ruppster

Just picked up a Ruppster basket case. Spent Saturday doing complete tear down. Frame, skid plates, and other parts now at sand blaster. As it looks now I know I need, pedel ASM, starter motor, and master cyl. JLO 230 turns over freely and has compression. Know I'll need other minor parts - Ign Sw etc. Any help on a decent supplier for parts?:shrug:

james c

ive been messing with mine for around 6 months finally decided to change engine brands and go with a chapparal engine do to the difficulty with getting it running well.

Want to try and keep it as colse to stock as possible. Have seen several different body styles, yours James with the open top over the motor area, mine is enclosed. Also is your roll cage stock or an add on? Mine is without it, but I'll add it for looks and lights.

Well the frame's back from sandblasting, and looks like I've got some welding to do on a couple of mounting brackets. Luckily my new wire feed welder arrived yesterday. Will be posting pics as soon as I use rest of film on camera. Got both Ruppster and JLO Parts, and maintenance manuels in the mail this week, and have several good sources of old snowmobile parts right here locally. A guy at work used to race snowmibiles years ago and have several JLO and other motors laying around he's going to give me.

Well everythings on hold for now. Went to the RV Show in Cleveland last weekend and threw my back out to the point where I can't even stand right now. Todays the 1st day I've been able to even get to the computer. Killing me all sorts of things I can/nned to be doing right now but can only set on the couch! D###!!!!!:angry:

James, back cracker doing a great job!!! Maybe 1-2 weeks and I'll be back to normal???
Just have to not do too much too soon, even though snow plow need brace welded, driveway (all 1800' of it) needs plowed. Living in western NY it's a constant thing.

:smile:Back now at a point where I can work on project. Friend gave me 3 motors, a JLO 290, a Sach 290 and some other 2 cyl 2 cycle. The Sachs was complete except a starter and had been stored inside where as my JLO 230 had been ouside and the clutch pully was forze up. Went to a local snowmobile shop that had been in business since the begining of time, and was run by the same guy the whole time and was able to match up a starter, and drive belt for the Sachs. Have a temp motor mount and was able to hear the sacks BARK BARK BARK yesterday :thumbsup: Now, it rebuild the carb, brake sys, and permanent motor mount. Then the big task the body and rool bar, but the beast is at least barking now.

James, the body is still in the backet case state. I've been working on all the mechanical stuff waiting for the weather to warm up. Kind of hard to wet sand the body down to prep for painting when the temps below freezing. Still have to mount the mechanical disc brake caliper being as the orignal hyd master cyl was trash. I do have a good hyd caliper though if anyone needs it. With the larger motor, the body want to set down on top of the spark plug. Got that one solved, I'm getting to small air scoop from a local marine supply, the ones used to provide fresh air flow into the bilges. I'll put one on each side like minny hood scoops, and the spark plug will stick up in the on while it also provides cooling air flow onto the motor. Will try to have better pics, need to get more light in the garage. Don't have a JLO motor guy. I'm just mechanically inclined and did a little research on the internet on the 2 cycle and went form there. What did you need to know?