Safely removing/reusing orig Bearings

Anyone out there with tips or instructions on how to safely remove original bearings without breaking them? I have two on the front fork neck that need to come out prior to painting the frame, and I also have two which are part of the jackshaft assembly which look like they're held on to the frame using a retaining ring. I need any advice I can get before I try popping these things out.

10974159_10153064617714378_6260135372317161554_o.jpg 10974177_10153064617484378_6312873914299045645_o.jpg

Sent you a PM on the bearings responding to a photo from your facebook page. I use a 1/2" steel rod to knock them out from the inside, but I have also used a screwdriver (probably not recommended). Whatever you use will be smaller than the 5/8" opening. Sometimes you have to hammer it pretty hard. Just keep working your way around until they pop out.

Doc

Last edited:

markus

aran , no worries on damaging the bearings, they still make them today and are only at most a couple of bucks a piece depending on who and how many you buy at one time. I do like doc said on the first one, as you have to go through the other bearing to get to it in some cases, then whatever the biggest socket or driver I can stick through the hole to bang the other one out with. you do want to try bang them out as evenly as you can to avoid distortion to damaging the tubing or hole that the bearing sits on to a minimum but thats about it.

Getting them back in you want to apply pressure to the outside of the bearing only (not the clip but the "race" part) I use a big C clamp with some blocks when possible to press them in most of the time.