Salsbury TC minibike

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I found my old Salsbury TC setup about a couple of weeks ago. So I hook it up on my old 5hp minibike. It looks great I just need to turn my wheel around and I need to have wheelie bars welded on.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

I've been toying with the idea of a TC as well.

How tall is that back tire and what is the sizing on it? I'm looking for something tall, but kinda wide also.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
It's a 13 tall x 6.50 wide x 6 rim tire. It's actually 14" tall because the rim is only 4.5" wide so it's squeezes it together. If you want taller just use a 4" tall tire it should get you another 1/2".

This is a standard setup
2.5:1 first
1.50:1 second
1.0 final

The TAV2-30 ratio is a bit different. But both are a bit of a hand full with such a short whell base and good power.

65ShelbyClone

That explains it. I was wondering why it looks like a balloon tire(which is what I'm after). Now I know how to "make" one. :thumbsup:

You do need those wheelie bars I think.

I will too. :clown: One of the projects I'm trying to get the ball rolling on(thanks to a tax return) is a mini with a Honda 305 twin. They came with about 28hp, but I plan on more compression and some portwork. :shifty: Gonna cost a few hundred just to rebuild it, though. Cams and valvetrain alone are about $600. :001_unsure:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I have seen those V-Twins. Your frame is going to have to be pretty wide to fit one in there and make it balnce good enough to ride. I don't know if that little tire I have is big enough. You might need a mini-cup Hoosier tire. 15x8x8, or 15x10x8.

65ShelbyClone

Your frame is going to have to be pretty wide to fit one in there and make it balnce good enough to ride. I don't know if that little tire I have is big enough. You might need a mini-cup Hoosier tire. 15x8x8, or 15x10x8.
Yeah, I figure something like a Jr Dragster rear wheel, but I'm not sure that limiting traction is a bad idea. It might be safer spinning the wheel at 80+ than lifting the front end. The big heavy engine might help stability some.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The heavy motor, and length of the mini will keep it down. I know you have seen dobie's minibike. That is a 18x8x10 tire on the back. That's the size they use with jr.dragsters, and minichoppers. The smaller size above is for a minicup car. It looks like a 1/4 scale nascar copy. But the tire is a little bigger then the rear tire on that TC minibike I have.

I'm guessing your going to need a much wider tire because of your motor selection.

delray

hey minidragbike,that blue bike give's a whole new meaning of minibike. if anybuddy was to start up a minibike drag class at any local dragway strips that would be the basic look :thumbsup: someone put lot of thought into that bike. everything on that bike is built for speed.
has that minibike ran at a 1/4 or 1/8 mile track and if so, what was the top speed?

65ShelbyClone

You should hear that blue one idling in the video minidragbike shot.

I plan on taking anything I build to the 1/4mi track at least once.....well, at least before the nearest track goes belly-up. Hopefully they'd let me run a minibike on grudge night.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I believe it ran 97, or 98 mph with a light weight jockey on board. He originally beat my buddy with the Blockzilla, but my buddy came back for revenge and beat the blue bike.

The blue minibike is from a different racing team. Even though we help each other we always want to beat each other. And this is with big money on the line too. Right now the fastest minibike is my team mates BZ. But this summer there is about 3-4 guys that is coming out with something. They are claiming to beat us real bad. LOL

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
You should hear that blue one idling in the video minidragbike shot.

I plan on taking anything I build to the 1/4mi track at least once.....well, at least before the nearest track goes belly-up. Hopefully they'd let me run a minibike on grudge night.
If that's the track I think your talking about they won't let you run. There is to many saftey laws, but any thing is possible. By them being about to close they might just let you run?? If they do or don't let me know either way.

65ShelbyClone

I'm talking about Los Angeles County Raceway. They let Jr Dragsters race. I don't know why I couldn't run a minibike on at least the 1/8. I have full offroad safety gear, so it's not like some yahoo would be going out with only street clothes and a skid lid.

Timing lights are nice for precision, but a stopwatch can get you in the ballpark for E.T. If I go there soon, I'll ask and see what the tech/safety people say.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
That's the track I figured you was talking about. If they some how let you ride, remember to let me know. They wouldn't let us, but we wanted to run the 1/4 mile. To run the 1/8 you will pop a wheelie and be all over the track with a good amount of power. The jr.dragster are made onto the ground so you can't compare them.

delray

yes 65shelbyclone,that bike does sound cool.I like to see a better video of it ? maybe minidragbike can talk another shoot of it when it's out again?
:scooter: ...............................:thumbsup:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
yes 65shelbyclone,that bike does sound cool.I like to see a better video of it ? maybe minidragbike can talk another shoot of it when it's out again?
:scooter: ...............................:thumbsup:
Since that clip he has taken the MSD ignition off the motor. He has bolt on another flywheel and he can't get the ignition timing correct. Once he gets it right I will make sure I get a better video of it.

I"m trying to find a good tripod, so I can setup at the 1/8 mile mark and zoom in on them at the starting line. Then get them as they pass me up at a pretty good speed on there way to the 1/4 mile mark.:thumbsup:

65ShelbyClone

Why did he pull the good ignition off?

I have one of those cheap $25 Ebay tripods that works alright.
It's not terrific, but it's more stable than my over-caffeinated jittery self trying to hold the camera and get a steady picture.

I'm spoiled because I've had a taste of the silky smooth video-specific tripods that cost more than my camcorder.

On a side note, I actually reduced my caffiene intake when I knew I would be shooting so I would have a steadier hand. Then I'd stay groggy and forgetful and end up breaking the timecode somewhere, which makes capturing a PITA later. :001_tongue: