Scrub Brake

MIGZ

Anyone on here make scrub brakes, My Cat 350ss uses a crappy china rig disc brake that i will most likely not use so thing of just welding on a scrub

pomfish

I have one here that I just removed from a Manco Thunderbird. Don't see why it wouldn't work on your Cat.
I cut the mounts and the tab to hold the return spring.

LMK before she goes on the parts for sale side.
Keith

2SlickNick

I have one that I just cut off a Joe's frame minibike. You can have it for the cost of shipping. If you want it inbox me your phone number and I'll send you a picture.

Do both!
1. Install a clutch band brake for some REAL stopping power. (You can easily lock up the rear wheel)
2. Install a scrub brake assembly as your "backup" (emergency) brake in the (relatively rare) event your clutch brake becomes inoperative if your chain or master link breaks or your chain comes off.
Michael

How well do scrub brakes work, in general?
Can you lock up the rear tire? How about when the tire is wet?
I have an old Cat with a drum brake that doesn't work well. I was thinking of adding a scrub brake...

Danford1

Danford, See my post above ^^^^ and add an engine clutch brake and use your crappy Cat drum brake only as the backup/emergency brake.
Michael

creia, I thought of that but but feel if I had a foot scrub brake it would work better than the worn out drum brake. I like the clutch brake idea.
The clutch band brakes work good if my memory is good... I haven't had a band brake since I has a kid. I'm a retired old fart now...
I would really like to add a hydraulic rear disc and be done with it. The problem there is mounting a rotor on the other side. I don't have anything to mount it to.

Danford1

"The clutch band brakes work GOOD if my memory is good..." That is an understatement! The engine clutch band brake has some of the very best stopping power you will ever experience. You can VERY EASILY lock up the rear wheel if you want to.
Michael

Is there an easy way to mount a drum to the rear tire? I have 6" Astro wheels. I have a lot of room on the right side of the rim/tire.
Just need a good easy way to mount a drum (or rotor if I use disc brakes).
Here is what I have.

Danford1

File_000 (2).jpeg

The problem with the clutch brake is I just put on a nice new factory type clutch guard. I'd hate to cut it up to fit in a clutch brake...
I really want a rear disc brake that I can add to my sprocket. Hydraulic would be awesome too :)

I bought the scrub brake assembly pictured above but it doesn't fit well with my foot pegs and wider frame. I tried bending the rod straight to clear the foot peg but it just isn't going to work right. If I were to add a scrub brake I would have to start from scratch and build it to fit. I don't have that kind of time only to find out the scrub brake isn't very effective when the tire gets wet...

I'll pursue a disc brake for my sprocket.

Danford1

pomfish

Another option may be to get a Cat sprocket setup from a R4003, it is a sprocket with internal brake drum. They used this type on the bikes with a torque converter. The internal brake part is available cheap as it worked on other brands of bikes.. Someone here will know the brand and vendor on epay. The sprocket is a little harder to find. The nice thing about going this route is you could fab up a clamp on brake drum stop and not have to weld anything on your frame..HTHKeith

Last edited:

pomfish

Is that engine on rubber blocks?

Just noticed the picture and see the engine is up off the plate. How does that work?Looks like it would shake.

That is a bad setup and will allow the engine to move (back) = loose chain.
Michael
Bingo ! We have a winner. Yes in that picture the engine was off the plate. I used rubber vibration insulators. They worked Great for eliminating any vibration but as creia mentioned it allow the engine to move too easily. The chain would fall off under hard acceleration. Just cruising alone slow was really nice but you couldn't accelerate... Those rubber insulators weren't in their very long, just a couple hours. I wanted to show what I had for disc brake mounting space and that was the best picture I had showing it.
I removed those and used 1/2" thick hard rubber pads. The chain stays on just fine. The pads reduced the vibes not eliminate it so I left them in.

Danford1