Scrub Brake

I picked up a Sears minibike with a scrub brake. The top of the scrub tilts towards the tire, when relaxed, so it rubs when rolling. I looked at the pics of some of the bikes with scrubs brakes, on here and they all look nice and vertical (no rubbing). I figured it had to pivot, so I unwound the ends of a spring and slipped the bolt through it to tilt the scrub back when relaxed, so far it works. Is there a better way to do this? Maybe I'm missing an original part (or spring) in there. Sorry if this sounds unclear, maybe the pics will explain it better.

That is the same as my bird,my main spring is on the bolt like yours and then I drilled a hole on the body of the shoe itself and installed a lighter spring to hold the top of the scrub back

Last edited:
yes i enjoyed that brake very much on the bird i had running. lost the spring while riding though, rigged it with a bungee cord on the seat bolt. a little tacky. noone noticed. worked great.

Thanks for the pics. I thought about putting the spring at the top of the scrub, but figured it would be torn off by the tire, as soon as I applied the brake (mine is worn). At least I know now, I was on the right track.