Sears Craftsman engine ID help

I have a Tecumseh that I got on a Manco bike.

It has a Sears Craftsman type number on the tin: 143.774012 SER .6227B I believe.
Of course I looked in the "3 to 11hp L-head Technicians manual" in the back, but 143.774012 wasn't listed. The closest numbers are:
143.774022 H30-35342S
143.774052 H30-35363S
143.774102 H30-35374R
143.774112 HS40-55534J
143.774132 HS50-67280E

Can you guys tell what Tecumseh model it is by looking at it? And would it be a 1976 or 1986 engine? Or how could I tell?

Thanks, Ken

My eyes aren't what they once were and I couldn't get a good picture of the numbers stamped on the carburetor; but I believe the carburetor stamping is 99 CI14. Making it a 631070A carburetor? Partstree says 631070A goes on H22,H25,H30 and H35. Do you guys think it's an H30 probably?

Thanks, Ken

Cool, '86? Would that have electronic ignition then?

And if it's '86 then it definitely ain't original to the bike and I'll maybe use it elsewhere.

Thanks a TON. That's the first time I didn't find a Craftsman number in the back of that "3 to 11hp L-head Technicians manual" but your list looks a lot more complete!

capguncowboy

Cool, '86? Would that have electronic ignition then?

And if it's '86 then it definitely ain't original to the bike and I'll maybe use it elsewhere.

Thanks a TON. That's the first time I didn't find a Craftsman number in the back of that "3 to 11hp L-head Technicians manual" but your list looks a lot more complete!
I'm assuming it's an '86 due to the shroud style and gas tank. I'm not sure what the difference between '76 and '86 was as far as the shroud goes, but I don't think Manco used any of the Sears engines on their bikes, but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure the bike is older I only see it in picture ads dated 1970 and 1971, Model 300 or 500.

Exhaust goes straignt out the back next to the carburetor rather than left towards the clutch if that helps with the engine year ? Did the exhaust configuration change during a certain year?

Thanks, Ken

Last edited:

capguncowboy

I'm pretty sure the bike is older I only see it in picture ads dated 1970 and 1971, Model 300 or 500.

Exhaust goes straignt out the back next to the carburetor rather than left towards the clutch if that helps with the engine year ? Did the exhaust configuration change during a certain year?

Thanks, Ken
All Tecumseh Small blocks (like the H35) exhausted on the left side. The only exception to this is the HS40, which was on the right side

markus

If the shroud is original to the engine Its electronic ignition and should be a ball bearing supported crankshaft as well :thumbsup:

If the shroud is original to the engine Its electronic ignition and should be a ball bearing supported crankshaft as well :thumbsup:
Really? That is cool :thumbsup: Now that gas tank is mentioned I notice gas tank has a pebble grained top like my 1988 snowblower HMSK80.

All Tecumseh Small blocks (like the H35) exhausted on the left side. The only exception to this is the HS40, which was on the right side
Ok, slow down please. :laugh: Now I'm confused. I see a lot of them people call "side pooper" that exhaust out the left side (clutch side) if you were sitting on the bike. Mine comes out the back of the engine if you were sitting on the bike. Is that a "back pooper" or just a non-"side pooper"? And was that changed in a certain year?

Thanks, Ken

capguncowboy

Ok, slow down please. :laugh: Now I'm confused. I see a lot of them people call "side pooper" that exhaust out the left side (clutch side) if you were sitting on the bike. Mine comes out the back of the engine if you were sitting on the bike. Is that a "back pooper" or just a non-"side pooper"? And was that changed in a certain year?

Thanks, Ken
Sorry, I should have clarified -- The side exhaust engines are outside that rule -- Generally, those are limited to the H25, H30 and H35 engines, and were usually not used on bikes. Most of those engines came from tillers, snowblowers, edgers, etc... The only bike that comes to mind off the top of my head that used a sidepooper engine was the Skat Kitty, but I know there were others too

I was referring to the engines with the intake and exhaust on the back of the engine (side by side). The HS40 intake and exhaust are opposite from the other small block engines. HS40 exhausts on the right and the others exhaust on the left.

Ok, thank you. So sidepooper/non-sidepooper is not an age thing. Tecumseh made both at the same time depending on application. Is that correct? :thumbsup:

Last edited: