Sears Super 2-Speed Mod. 143-607022, S/N 0058 02416

I think I figured out WHAT it is. I would like to know the date of manufacture, if possible. This project mini bike belonged to my wife's late father who passed away in 1995. He was born in 1942, so a young guy when colon cancer got him. She got some fun stuff from his estate, some of which has been squirrelled away at the family farm in Schulenburg, TX. We brought Royce's Ride home over a year ago and now just getting around to see what it is, exactly, we have ahold to. The pics are in the only bike I have profiled (... just joined this morning).

Any ideas on year?

IMG_4339.jpg
IMG_4340.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4343.jpg

Today, I took the chains, jackshaft and rear wheel off as well as the carburetor. I believe I need to know what kind of engine it is (Briggs, Tecumseh, ?) so I can get a carb kit and order parts, as needed.

Thanks for taking a look.

capguncowboy

The engine is a Tecumseh HS40 (4hp) and dates the bike as a very early 1970 model (February 27th). I would say it was built around March of that year.

Thank you! That's awesome to get it that tight. 2/27/1970. I was 6.

Yessir, though extra-crusty might be more apt. I pulled the bowl off the carb yesterday (after the nut/seat broke right at the column inside the bowl). I'm not sure the carb would have been salvageable anyway. Barn livin' for a machine like that with all the cracks and crevices is not easy. Every time I pull off another layer, there are snails, spiders, dirt dobbers and a thick layer of oil soaked dust. It's a project.

The recoil starter still works and the engine turns over easy enough. However, the chains were so rusted, I took them off - that's a lot of contraption with the jackshaft - and had to drop the back wheel to get all of that out of the way. I figure before I do a painted effort at restoration, I would get it cleaned up enough to start. I pulled the carb and fuel tank (decent shape; needs a new cap) to put a kit, but as above, I don't think it'll work.

IMG_4409.JPG
IMG_4398.jpg

I'd like to get some basic thoughts on best ways to clean up the metal to prep for painting. My thought was to power wash with a lot of soap. The rust is surface; I haven't found pits or corrosion yet other than the exhaust. Things are coming apart easier than I thought. Is there something better than Liquid Wrench to loosen up the exhaust components?

Now that I know what it is, should I switch forums?

Thank you! That's awesome to get it that tight. 2/27/1970. I was 6.

Yessir, though extra-crusty might be more apt. I pulled the bowl off the carb yesterday (after the nut/seat broke right at the column inside the bowl). I'm not sure the carb would have been salvageable anyway. Barn livin' for a machine like that with all the cracks and crevices is not easy. Every time I pull off another layer, there are snails, spiders, dirt dobbers and a thick layer of oil soaked dust. It's a project.

The recoil starter still works and the engine turns over easy enough. However, the chains were so rusted, I took them off - that's a lot of contraption with the jackshaft - and had to drop the back wheel to get all of that out of the way. I figure before I do a painted effort at restoration, I would get it cleaned up enough to start. I pulled the carb and fuel tank (decent shape; needs a new cap) to put a kit, but as above, I don't think it'll work.

View attachment 106093
View attachment 106094

I'd like to get some basic thoughts on best ways to clean up the metal to prep for painting. My thought was to power wash with a lot of soap. The rust is surface; I haven't found pits or corrosion yet other than the exhaust. Things are coming apart easier than I thought. Is there something better than Liquid Wrench to loosen up the exhaust components?

Now that I know what it is, should I switch forums?
Get yourself some PB Blaster and start a-sprayin'. That lovely smelling juice is rust's kryptonite.

Personally, for the paint I always like to hand sand the old off. It was like therapy to me and spending time with the frame like that I would learn things about it. Sometimes notice something I wouldn't have otherwise. Wear a mask as God knows how much lead was in that paint back in the day. Nice lil bike and, more importantly, engine.

Thanks Johnny. Any ideas on what the carburetor model# would be for that 1970 HS40? The numbers on the top of the bowl are 239 then 0820. It looks like a Series 1 based on some diagrams from Jack's. Gonna start peeling off the shroud to get to the gas line, points and recoil this week.

cfh

I did a whole thread on this site about replacement carburetors for 4 and 5 hp Tecumseh motors. I suggest you search for it. Just buy a new carb, they are inexpensive, $10-$15. Even though that gentleman above likes to hand sand stuff, personally I would sandblaster everything. But that’s just me