Seized exhaust valve

pete108

I have a flat head briggs with a seized exhaust valve. Do I just don't bother and throw it out or is there something that can be done?

pete108

these can be a pain. i know because both of the engines on my 2 running minibikes had this problem when i got them if your able to, try pouring oil down the exhaust port and in the "valve spring room" because it might be the lifter stuck and not the valve itself. then take a rubber mallet and tap the top of the valve and see if it goes back down, but make sure that the engine cam is in the position that it isn't against the valve first. then after it frees up more just keep working it back and forth..

KB2ROCKET

WD40 tap it work it then take it apart and remove the build up from the valve and the guide put it back together
have fun

Oldsalt

On one engine a valve was so stuck that it was not going to come loose without hurting the valve. No way. So the engine was disassembled and a hole drilled in the bottom of the engine block. Through that hole a long rod was used to drive the valve up. As all the pounding was done on the end of the valve stem there was no real damage as can and will happen if the valve head gets even one tap on the edge of the head. The hole was then tapped and a set screw inserted to seal the crankcase. Don't even consider hitting the valve head unless you use a piece of brass that is placed dead center of the head.