Seized GX160

being new to minibikes and small motor repair, I decided to start pulling this one apart just to see how it works.

Lots of dirt and pine needles all up in everything. Pine needles in the carb. Water poured out the exhaust port when the motor was on its side. About the only thing I have seen so far that appears it may be clean is the rockers and springs. Looks like one of the valves may be stuck open and perhaps water was just sitting in the cylinder for years, maybe why its seized if its all rusted up in there.

I only spent an hour or so pulling parts off and seeing whats broken, Who knows maybe some of the bottom end is still salvagable, Ill see when I get to pulling the whole thing apart.

I was sort of curious if I find any of the parts are still good if they would make good interchangable spare parts for the HF 6.5 clone motor the bike will be receiving?

aww man thats one of the dirtiest honda's ive seen!

what i'd do...

take it all apart
get carb cleaner
clean clean clean everything- and get a dremel!
make new gaskets from a cereal box
re-paint the blower housing whatever color you want

see if it starts!

if the piston is actually siesed in the cylinder, get PB blaster. once you let it sit a few days, knock out the piston with a block of wood.

you might have to hone the cylinder and probably want to get new rings.

total cost i estimate to fix it (assuming most parts are good)

carb cleaner $3
PB blaster $5
cylinder hone? $?
spray paint $5

do you have a dremel? GREAT for scraping off old gaskets.

Pine needles in the carb.
Now I've heard almost everything :lol:

VERY much congrats though for jumping in to find out how things work in a small engine. Pull the whole thing apart, pull off the side cover, the head, take the whole dang thing apart. You'll be very familiar with the honda/clone ohv engines so that when the time comes when you start upgrading your engine, you'll be more confident doing so. Seriously, from looking at your pics, this engine is good for learning and possibly scrapping afterwards.:rolleyes:

I also just saw threads about the gx160 head swap on the gx200 clone motors....:blink:

but I agree It would be nice to see how cleaned up I can get this motor, or if I can possibly get it running again. shame its missing many parts already though.

Alrady have a dremel with lots of attachments, thanks for the other cleaning/rebuild tips bluethunder.

icky that thing is nasty . where did you find that under a rock ? i thought the one i pulled out the scrap pile was a mess .
it mite run again ya never know i got one a briggs stuck tight . took some time but i got it apart and it should make smoke again .

I clean it up and find someone to just knock the rust off the cylinder with a hone $5. I'd order a gasket kit or go auto parts store and buy some gasket material. Then repaint. Kind makes you feel good to bring something back to life.
The carb needle ( seat area) may need replacing or worked(soaked)
Bet you can get it to work!