Short Shaft Briggs Question

Hopefully this is a simple question. Im 90% finished rebuilding my 130000 series 5hp. I just realized my shaft 3/4" is about 1.25" long. I dont have enough to put a 2 sprocket clutch on it. Will a single sprocket work or do i need a longer crank shaft?

012.jpg

Personally I think you probably should run the longer crankshaft. I would think you want any clutch pretty much fully supported. Those change out pretty easily.

Doc

Np todd look at the code numbers on shroud first 2 digits tell what year it was made the rest tell the day an month an what factoy was made ...

Todd is that polished aluminum or painted looks good look at my buildoff pics form this year an you can see ny motor an what ive done does yours have the cast aluminum pull start bolted to shroud..

oldfatguy

you could use a short piece of jackshaft and a bolt. Line up the key slots to connect them.

any machinist could make the part too and cut the key slot.

wb4rt

Hey Tiki_Todd

I realize this thread is a year old, but I have a similar short shaft on a Briggs 3 hp that I am saving. I asked my son about his shop making a 3/4" x 1" spacer piece with 3/8" hole for the bolt. I don't think having a key way is necessary as I'm only filling the space to keep the clutch bearings from wearing. The key on the clutch is seated on the shaft.

He directed me to McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr .

I did not realize they stock these and the price is much better than having one made.

Comments? Maybe this will help someone else.

Last edited: