Should I do this trade for this Rupp?

First off. I do not know alot about Rupps. I mainly Collect and restify or restore the tube frame bikes. I Need to know if this is a even trade or should I ask for $ and his bike.

I have a Fox sundowner as my only vintage "Mini-Cycle"

Anyway......

A friend of mine got this Rupp for a couple of Hundred Bucks and its in pretty rough shape. It is a 70 or so Scrambler with a late 80's 3hp Tecumseh and a Centrifugal clutch instead of what I assume should have been a converter. Converter cover is Cracked. 5 layers of hand brushed paint on everything.

Other than that its pretty much all there with jury-rigging here and there but I would say 90% complete.

Its a Big Project for him and he wants to get out of it. He has asked me If I wanted to trade for any of my running bikes. The Only one would consider is my Bird Duck I just finished. But its Like brand new. Sandblasted frame, New PPG Paint, new tires, tubes and a Brand New $65 custom seat.

I Know rupp's go for big money when they are complete or restored. I don't want to sell it if I get it. I just want a fare trade.

Was the scrambler the entry level bike?

The real question is will you have more in it than it's worth. Unless you do all your own work, that's a good possibility. Even if you do all your own work,thats a possibility. Rupps are pretty valuable, but some of the OEM parts may be hard to get. Birds are just plain cool.:thumbsup:

Scramblers were 3rd in the line up in 70...Chopper and Sprint came before the Scrambler.

In 71 it was 2nd from the bottom with Rascal being the entry level

In 72 it was the entry level bike.

Only you can decide if a swap is right for you. You have to take personal satisfaction into play and not always look at the money end. You may end up with alot of $$ in the bike once finished BUT if your happy with it that counts for something

Last edited:
I never look at the money end, unless I can have 3 of these for the cost of 1 of something else. It's all in the fun, enjoyment, and satisfaction. To me the true value is how much fun you can have with them.