Side popper

dshot59

I have this 3 or 3.5 side popper got it running idles starts up on one pull won't rev. Go to rev it kinda stumbles if you play with the throttle it stays going but won't rev up. I bought an e-bay carb cause the one on it leaked and started it for the first time it ran but wouldn't rev thought maybe the carb was junk which it might be. Put on a different one and it was the same. Thinkin it ain't the carb, ignition maybe ? Anyone had a similar problem or a suggestion. Where be the Tech guys at ? o_O Any and all help greatly appreciated, thanks .

dshot59

Any things possible I guess . I wondered about that maybe it just wouldn't rev on the milk crate not under load but I tried it on the ground and was the same. I guess I can undo the governor arm and see what happens. I'm not sure what its deal is some one gave it to me.

Attachments

markus

You most likely have the timing off, or the flywheel key has sheared and moved the wheel. If that is still the engine with the scattered pieces inside you showed awhile back though, it may also be out of time or out of whack somewhere else internally though depending on what you did to get it back together.

I was (and still am....) experimenting with modifying camshafts and cam timing. What you describe sounds similar to one that I put the cam in one tooth off. It idled very smooth but it coughed and gagged when I tried to rev it. Is it possible the cam went in wrong?

dshot59

It's not the same engine that went kaboom, I stole parts off that one just the carb I think but never opened this one up. I wound up with like three of these engines somehow. That's why I used it I had lots of extra parts some still in one piece. Plus I needed something small to fit in the frame I wanted to use. I'm going to pull the flywheel and see what the points look like and make sure the keyway is ok. It starts right up on one pull though which is odd so I am a bit thrown off.

Attachments