Sidepopper!

You know, I'd never heard of one these until recently while pokin' around the forum. So I went out to the 'pre-solid state horizontal shaft' engine pile :biggrin: , dug around a little and found this guy! Took off the tank (cracked - :censure: ) and pulled the head - bore and valves look fine, has enough compression. Missing the shroud and no spark, other than that, looks saveable. Might be a fun project over the winter. So, a couple of questions. First - no shroud #s, but has a tag. SBH 384A SER 2090F. If I remember, the SBH stands for Short Block Hor., right? So this was a replacement short block? Do any of the other #s mean anything to anyone, or at least can we determine the hp and year? Next, looks like the cam has a keyed shaft stickin' through the back cover. Can I either change the cam and cover, or just grind it flush with the cover for the time being? And last, looks like it has bosses for a magneto. I know Tecumseh made under-the-flywheel magneto and points setups, and also internal point-external magneto setups. Are these interchangable? Seems like it's easier to set the timing, or at least the magneto air gap, with an external, guess I'd have to change the flywheel. OK guys, always great to hear your opinions, whadaya got for me?

Last edited:

jrzmac

I think the SER 2090F means the 90th day of either 1972 or 1982? work-line #f. kinda hard to tell without the shroud, but if it has a magneto, it might be from 72. also looks like it needs a new head gasket!!!

Hey, thanks jrzmac! Yeah, def needs a new head gasket, and you're right, I'm pretty sure it's a 1972. Sorry, somehow I deleted my pics, I thought this thread got deleted too. Sorry so long in responding, thanks!