Simple homemade bead breaker

KB2ROCKET

Last weekend I spent two frustrating days trying to break the bead on my rupp sprint wheels I tryed using a hammer and a block of wood then I tryed running over the tire with my jeep then I tryed crushing it in the vice and it just laughed at me so off to harbor frieght to get a bead breaker but everything they had either looked like it wouldn't work or it was for large diameter car tires and cost about as much as the replacement tires I want to buy so I made this tool out of a piece of plank I had sitting around and it worked like magic
now the money I saved on fancy tools I can spend on new tires

Last edited:

KB2ROCKET

You guys have no idea how stuck this thing was I feel so stupid for not coming up with this earlyer it was fast and easy to make and it just popped off first time with no phyical effort on my part :)

KB2ROCKET

At first the idea was to save the tires I just wanted to take them apart to strip and paint them but I have decided to get new tires tubes and bearings . I figure I may as well do it right as long as I am taking it apart :)

KB2ROCKET

When I used a vice the side wall just deformed and the bead stayed stuck I even sprayed it with wd40 and left it in the vice over night but no luck

KB2ROCKET

I like it that is "OLD SCHOOL"
Yep that IS Old school thank you very much
hey bronc I'm having the time of my life building this sprint I will post some pictures as soon as I can find / order and recieve parts for these wheels the bike will look like a special edition "sprint express" and will be way overpowered by a clements H50 open

delray

jesse8931 use a torch? i think the wood work good. that rim look like it was on there for 30+ years and rusted on good. tire was junk anyway. see the dry rot.

Last weekend I spent two frustrating days trying to break the bead on my rupp sprint wheels ...
Good solution, and you got to play w/power tools making the board. It's a win-win! :thumbsup: With a couple more boards and a door hinge, you could make a rig that you wouldn't have to put under the car. Sort of like a big nutcracker. I've got a Harbor Freight bead breaker that works really great for motorcycle tires, but it's too big for minis.