Skullys Catch of the day,,,,,,,,,year!

Been wanting a "Tule Trooper" since I caught the old school mini bug. these are pretty rare and totally unique hunting/service bikes that you most likely will only find in the Great North West where they were built for only a few short years and they where made around 1964. These are large bikes and have a two speed gear box "Low" (climb a tree) that goes up to 15MPH and High that is rated at 45MPH

I've only seen a couple for sale and the one I did go see was so badly butchered that I passed on it for $100! Wish I had them parts now!

The guy I got it from dumped some money had it powder coated, had the James gear box gone through, brand new tires, and brakes done (brake shops can reline your mini's shoes BTW $15!) He replaced the engine with the stock 5HP size then took it to a Lawn mower shop who put on a band new carb and gas tank and some other stuff *THEN* told him his rings where shot! So he was pissed and never really got to ride it in his high end neighborhood! I have a few nice Briggs flat heads I can put on it anyway. He gave me a folder with Trooper stuff and his receipts for work done.

I fired it up just now and it started right up but smokes like hell. You sit tall and the ride is very smooth! The front has internal shocks (twice as long as a Bonanza) and the rear is springed by the frame which REALLY WORKS! This rear tire is high speed and rated for 750 LBS. (he couldn't find a tractor tread like the stock one.

Theres some goofy rubber tubing on the forks which I will remove and I'm thinking Bronze color engine and bronze rims to give it an old look and install an old bronze briggs emblem

Here a pic of it before the powder coat, not much rust, just dirty.

Heres how it works >>>>

And heres lots of pic's and info on the "Trooper" if interested. (click on pic's for info inside) Tule Trooperville USA

Last edited:

jeep4me

Way too cool. Such a simple design for something that was used for REAL work. And you gotta love that hitch!!

What size is that back tire? I may have that same one. I think the one I have is a 21x10x9. It came off from an old snowblower, lots of tread on it.

That is a true mechanical mule and just fits the North West where it was made. That bro cure had in it the picture of the Viller's engine that was on my first mini bike that I never got running and where I spent many hours dreaming of riding it ( It was missing a intake and carburetor and the exhaust pipe ) I was about 12 or 13 and it just didn't happen so now I get to make up for it LOL
Nice bike GTO and I along with others are jealous and won't let one slip by us if we find one. Steve :scooter:

Thanks guys, I'm really happy about finally getting one, there was a nice "big boy" (board on back) selling for $1.000 down south but thats too much for me.

Jeep, the rear tire is 570-8 I would like a tractor tread but the tire on it right now is so nice and is high speed HD so I'll just keep it on for now. Both tires still have chalk and nubbs on them.

I couldn't stand it and took the foam off the forks and am happy to say the forks and finish is PERFECT! :thumbsup: I set an old black headlight on the front fender thing and it looks great, there two hole there so I could make a bracket.

ONE MORE COOL thing is the 2 speed gear box has a spring in it and will automatically shift to low gear if you go down a steep hill with no throttle. :thumbsup:

I'm stoked and hope to get an engine in it tomarrow after I see the dentist. :doah: I just need to figure hook the throttle from below since I took the gov crap off the replacement engine, I might put the new downdraft carb on it too which would hook up that way easy. Theres alot of little tweeks to do as well.

Dude, that find is almost Holy Grail(ish)...those TT's are never in good shape when they pop up...they were bought for workin', and most of 'em got worked to death...nice find.

Replaced the engine today, had to make some linkage to be hooked up from the bottom and arange it up top, then rigged up a choke. This engine is like brand new YET the gas cap leaks, I tried another cap from another brigs and same thing. :doah:

It was dark and raining but I took it for a spin anyway. Then the damn belt was slipping. :doah: tightened it some more but still slipped. :doah: I don't think it has the right type belt, any input would be great.

The bike does handle real well and is fun to ride and both gears work great. I'll slap an older briggs on it once I clean one up then might paint it back to red.

Heres a pic of it tonight with engine and foam tubing removed from the forks.

Jef, there where a couple on Cragslist.