slide carbs vs. butterfly type carbs

I don't have a minibike that goes that fast.
I don't go faster than 75mph. I'm to scared to go any faster.

The more power the motor makes, the harder it is to keep the frame together.

I'm 240 lbs, and if I let everyone ride my minibike that ask. I would be responsible for the accidental deaths of many.
Come-on MDB, I was there when you went by at 77mph in the alley. i saw the radar gun myself.....

So your saying the jr dragsters use the bigger flatside mikuni's because there's no bigger tillotson???? If there was a bigger tillotson carb would do you think the jr dragster people would use them???

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
So your saying the jr dragsters use the bigger flatside mikuni's because there's no bigger tillotson???? If there was a bigger tillotson carb would do you think the jr dragster people would use them???
No they don't use them because of the bracket racing sport. They have proven not to be as consistent as the slide carbs. There is to much turbulence with the butterfly to make it as consistent.

There is a consistent amount of air that the motor wants when it's operating. The air comes into the carb from all directions, which is were the flow starts to get inconsistent. "NO ONE RACES AT PART/HALF THROTTLE" So this air is trying to find the fastest way around the butterfly, which makes it vary inconsistent.

With the slide there is nothing in the way to delay,block,turn,direct, or cause any type of turbulence with the in coming flow.

It's like turning a 2 liter bottle of soda upside down, and squeezing the soda out of it. It will pore out fast, and it will do it the same way over and over. Now if you stuck a nickle into the bottle spout it will slow it down, and it will pore different every time.

The karters will tell you the same. They check there tach's all the time. They go by a average RPM reading that lets them know there running good. The average may be about 50 RPM. So running 8,500 one lap and then turning 8,450 is a good thing with a butterfly carb.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Marcus was racing with the young kids on Saturday. He was at about half throttle making it look like a close race, then he would just barely beat them at the end. Then afterwards they would tell there other friends "Man I almost beat that guy on the fast minibike" LOL

He is running his pop's billet slide tillotson carb he got from me.