small engine dynamometer

james c

i bought something i think useable, its a dynamometer for small engines, according to what i could find on the internet, its a megatech dg-8, dynamometer generator with an electric brake. good for engines up to 10 hp and 8000 rpm. it should work for what id like to dyno but not for any real race engines. it does not have a computer interface so its old school.

if anyone has any experince with dynamometers please chime in and explain what ive got here and how it works because i have no manual. the manufacture is still in business but i cannot find a manual online.

james c

it also came with this hatz diesel engine 6.8 hp according to the net. i understand this machine was a teaching device i bought it from a diesel engine teacher but he said he bought it from a jr dragster guy who used it on his engines

James C, I'm not sure how you would set that thing up BUT here are a few observations from my perspective.....

An electric motor and generator are essentially the same thing, just a matter of how its wired......

Horsepower and Kilowatts are an interchangeable measure of power......

All that's needed to measure Kilowatts is Volts (times) Amps / 1000.....

Good luck with your rare find !!!!!

Patch :shrug:

James C, I'm not sure how you would set that thing up BUT here are a few observations from my perspective.....

An electric motor and generator are essentially the same thing, just a matter of how its wired......

Horsepower and Kilowatts are an interchangeable measure of power......

All that's needed to measure Kilowatts is Volts (times) Amps / 1000.....

Good luck with your rare find !!!!!

Patch :shrug:
kilowatts are NOT volts (times) amps / 1000 :hammer:

kilo volt amps, commonly known as KVA, is what you are describing.

kilowatts, or kW, is E x I x Cosine theta

E is RMS voltage

I is RMS current

and

theta is the phase angle between E and I in degrees.

:thumbsup:

james c has a really cool piece of equipment there!

P = I * E (according to the PIE chart I learned from)

P= WATTS
I= Amps
E= Voltage

Kilo = 1000

KVA is more commonly used for transformers and the like but is still 1000 volt amps which equals power (watts)