Smudvapor's Under 18 Build-off entries and liability

Interested readers,
Scott (smudvapor) had noted that his kids won't actually be to ride "on company time" their completed bikes because of liability issues. Rather than continue the discussion in one of his team's thread, I figured best to move over here.

I have a little bit of experience in this arena. School districts either purchase a liability insurance policy where the insurance company sets the limits (not great) or they self-insure and the finance department set the limits (terrible).

Here's some common examples: transporting students in personal vehicles--nope; transporting students in an 15 passenger van (E250 or similar)--nope; students using "dangerous" shop equipment (and there's one that's not?)--nope.

Students operating/driving a device they built/worked on is where it gets really muddy. In some cases, it might be yes and others no way.

Here's one that caused me huge heartburn (I was ready to stroke). I received a field trip application for a teacher and student to head up to the local fairgrounds....to practice driving a farm tractor....and not just a typical farm tractor but one of them big ones. Turns out the FFA has a tractor driving contest and the student qualified but never had driven a big tractor. I had to approve it. I really didn't want to.

School administrators like to see no risk in activities. No risk means no headaches. I think, though, we educators are too risk averse. Kids gotta feel the excitement. There's nothing like wiping the grease off the palm, grabbing the handle and enjoying your handiwork.

So Scott's got to walk a very fine walk here. I sent a letter to his superintendent last year after the build-off commending Scott. If you find Scott's teacher web site at the school, he's doing everything I looked for: Hands-on, project-based learning with real life application.

Kudos to Scott for doing what's right for kids.:thumbsup:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
So, what your saying is the kids can't ride the bike at the end of the build off, even if they finish on time.

Can the teacher ride the bike a few feet ?

So, what your saying is the kids can't ride the bike at the end of the build off, even if they finish on time.

Can the teacher ride the bike a few feet ?
What I thought I would do is ask both the Principal and the Assistant Principal to each take a bike for a little spin and my students could film them to post on the web page. I think they all would get a kick out of that. If they refuse then I will take them for a ride.

Unfortunately NO is always easy. Riding a mini bike in a supervised environment is just as safe if not safer than many sports that the school sanctions, the principal knows this. The narrow minded approach is an extension of telling all the kids they need to stay away from shop class and plan on getting a business degree in collage. There are almost no shop classes left in modern schools, it is a huge travesty.

capguncowboy

Waiver forms? We had to fill out waiver forms to drive the school's golf cart around the track to put out and pick up hurdles before and after practice.

buckeye

Sad that lawyers have ruined the fun.
Or not necessarily lawyers but, greed.

I love what you are doing Scott.
I think your idea of getting the principal to ride would be perfect.
It could build a bond with the kids. Hey, ol Mr.Smith rode our mini bike. He's pretty cool.

Hence, why I started with "can't ride on company time" There are ways to work around, but being creative and protecting one's own butt is important. If I were the principal, "testing the bike's controls and proper rider fitment" would be more than acceptable with appropriate safety gear (long sleeves and pants, shoes and a helmet).

Release from Liability forms are worth less than the paper they are printed on. I used 'em especially since the FFA thought an annual ski trip was a great activity--which is safer: minis or skis??? But if a kid broke a leg on skis, we were wide open. I banged my head repeatedly.

So, Scott's doing a great job with his kids and this is a huge incentive based activity. I'm sure the kids will get to test the machines and maybe, just maybe a couple will get interested and pursue a career in the trades.