So i'm building a sit down cycle with a twist!

I'd agree with you and turn it up, but its all that this little harbor freight 115v welder can muster... lol.. Plus i'm back using the harbor freight wire. I used to use lincoln electric from home depot. Ran out and this is what I had on the shelf.

The harbor freight welder doesn't support a gas inlet. Stuck with flux core for the time being. I would definitely like to eventually get a better welder. Its a tool worth spending some extra money on and having for 20+ years.

I have an old Lincoln and suits my needs fairly well, but it doesn't do more than 1/4" thick steel very well. A metal fabricator buddy of mine told me a little trick. When your welder doesn't seem to be putting out enough heat for the material you are using, take a propane (or acetylene if you have it) torch to the area to heat it up before welding. Doesn't need to be cherry red (as you probably will not be able to get it there with propane). Just get it smoking a bit and your welds will flow better.

Geeze. Just re-read some of the text above before posting a comment on the u-joint. At first I thought you were going to use it for a drive shaft. I was going to raise my hand and call offside, but now I see it's for steering. **phew**! Neat idea.

Ratbike

I have an old Lincoln and suits my needs fairly well, but it doesn't do more than 1/4" thick steel very well. A metal fabricator buddy of mine told me a little trick. When your welder doesn't seem to be putting out enough heat for the material you are using, take a propane (or acetylene if you have it) torch to the area to heat it up before welding. Doesn't need to be cherry red (as you probably will not be able to get it there with propane). Just get it smoking a bit and your welds will flow better.
Cool!! Didn't know that...may need to do that this winter as I have no heat in the garage and live in Iowa...:thumbsup: