So it begins

vwfan79

Got a DB30 about a week ago, rode it a bit and was unhappy with the performance of the 97cc motor so found this website and started doing research. Now I'm building what should be a very fun minibike.

Today I picked up a 212cc predator motor
I ordered 13t Max Torque clutch and 3100 rpm spring, under seat header, engine mounting plate and K&N filter with billet adapter.
I'm priming the frame tonight and painting it gun metal grey and painting the rims black. Still trying to decide whether or not to run fenders. Thinking of relocated fuel tank and sticking with stock tires for now.
Future mods, ported and jetted carb, billet flywheel and connecting rod and new valve springs.

Here is what I started with.

vwfan79

So I got everything primered last night and the first coat of paint on this morning. I decided to paint the engine tin and gas tank red for a little pop of color. Getting excited, can't wait for my engine parts to show up so I can put her back together and go for a ride.

Looks like its going to be a nice project
Be carefull with painting the tank as there are very few paints out there that are fuel compatable.
I painted a couple of clone tanks a while back and wished I had left them black lol
Rob

vwfan79

Looks like its going to be a nice project
Be carefull with painting the tank as there are very few paints out there that are fuel compatable.
I painted a couple of clone tanks a while back and wished I had left them black lol
Rob
Oh man really, didn't think about that. Did the paint bleed? I used rustoleum, thought it would be ok cause I used to paint around the gas cap on my van and haven't had a problem. Hopefully it's alright.

Paint will peel right off with the gas. You might get luckey.
Big time. Anything out of a rattle can will dissolve on the tank. I just found that out. I got a pint of gloss black acrylic from the parts store. $25 for that, and the reducer and hardener about doubles that cost. Might as well do the whole engine in the stuff. End result is worth it though.

Looks like a cool project VWfan.

Big time. Anything out of a rattle can will dissolve on the tank. I just found that out. I got a pint of gloss black acrylic from the parts store. $25 for that, and the reducer and hardener about doubles that cost. Might as well do the whole engine in the stuff. End result is worth it though.

Looks like a cool project VWfan.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes, Havasu Dave. I am in Bullhead City. Just north of Havasu.

Bullhead

vwfan79

So here it is with the first coat of paint and the tin/tank painted. Maybe I will try a coat of clear acrylic laquer to see if that helps.

Welcome to the forum vwfan79 :thumbsup: I used Duplicolor engine paint and engine clear on this tank and I have spilt gas all over it and never hurt the paint :thumbsup:

vwfan79

Thanks, good to know. A couple coats of clear and I should be fine. Where do you get those tanks from, been looking but haven't seem to find them yet.

vwfan79

So got everything painted and the frame all back together just waiting on my engine parts. Here is what it looks like with the motor sitting in the frame.

vwfan79

Of course now that the paint is done I want to cut off the fender brackets, good thing I got some paint left. I also just ordered some street tires so that will give it a bit of a different look too. Happy with it so far though, especially for my first build.