so Who owns the RIGHTS to RUPP minibikes?

xodus

I was just talking to a fellow minibike friend, and we both were wondering who owns the RIGHTS to rupp minibikes....
including the models, the use of RUPP LOGO's, and so on.

I know the company went down in the late 70's,
but can anyone just use their logos as they please?

And could other builders essentially copy RUPP's design without having to deal with patents and copyrights?

I never was good at finding out this type of legal stuff.
I figure someone has to own the rights to the RUPP name.

----I hope someone could shed some light on the question.

JTG

Generally speaking in most cases patents are good for about 17 years unless changes are made and the product is re-patented.

Copyrights term is the life of the author plus 70 years in most cases.

Trademarks generally issued for logos are good forever.

I heard Mickey Rupp is still alive and would probably be interested in any ventures using his name. Good luck.

zook94

Mr. Rupp is indeed still alive, and you can be sure that any product that hit the market with HIS name on it, would earn him some royalties. He was smart when he incorporated many moons ago, using his own name for the company, because DBA's expire in 5 years, but your name lasts til you expire.

Mr. Rupp is indeed still alive, and you can be sure that any product that hit the market with HIS name on it, would earn him some royalties. He was smart when he incorporated many moons ago, using his own name for the company, because DBA's expire in 5 years, but your name lasts til you expire.
I can't speak for all states, but in Pa you can't reserve the registration of your business that uses your name. I'll assume it's the same everywhere. If your last name was Rupp, They can't keep you from building and selling Minibikes called Rupp. Now if Rupp Industries is registered You would have to open as Rupp Manufacturing.
In Pa, if it's your actual name and what you actually do. You can use it as the title of your business/product. Even if the guy across the street has the name. You could have Jim's Used Cars on 4 corners of an intersection. For example.

It would be interesting to see what the Chinese gave him on the Honda trail bikes they cloned with the name Rupp on them?

My guess is nothing?

The last company to own the rights to Rupp from what I was told is Mr.Gasket. Which I worked with a bunch of Ex-Mr.Gasket employees who broke off and went to work for another company that was started by a long time Gasket employee making auto and marine performance parts. Which is still in business today. I was told Mr.Gasket bought what they wanted then pitched everthing else in big blue huge dumpsters they didn't want. Also when the bank was liquidating the assets of Rupp they were auctioning off trackter trailers full of rupp parts to the highest bidders that is why a few people today have stock piles of parts. I know of three people that still have a large number of parts. But keep those parts among themselves and collectors. Mickey started making outriggers for fishing in Florida where he lives today. But rumors say he is moving back to Ohio to start a new venture. But who knows what is true and what is not?

Arctic Cat owns what was left of Rupp and the rights to Rupp name. They were the final owner of Rupp Ind. They purchased it in 1976-77 time frame.1978 was last year for anything with the Rupp name on it, I think they only had two models of snowmobiles and that was it for the 78 Rupps. Arctic Cat has never pursued anyone from using the Rupp name. Mick Rupp stopped the Bikes using his old companys name on them back in 03.

I forgot Arctic Cat bought the sled division of Rupp. But Mr.Gasket bought parts of Rupp also but I don't know what parts maybe machinery who knows.

Arctic Cat holds the rights to the name is what I have been told. If Artcic Cat held 51% of the company holdings, then that would mean they are the owners in a partnership. Rupp was run into the ground by Mister gasket company, They had stop selling bikes by 1976.

The company is long gone and the owner to the rights of the name is water under the bridge. But the product is still around for people to enjoy which is a good thing thanks to people like Brandt and many others who supply us with parts to keep them going. So enjoy your Rupps if you have one. I do.

So true, If you really want to find out how has any right to it, Just start selling stuff with the Rupp name on it and see if you get a unfriendly letter delivered to your door.

oldsledz

Arctic Cat went bankrupt around 1982 and was out of business for about 2 years.

There was a auction everything was sold and around 1984 Cat was started back up, so it is not the same co. not.
So if they had the rights to Rupp it is hard to say who owns them now.