Socket/wrench sizes to break down most mini bikes.

Lizardking

What are your most used sizes of wrenches and sockets when it comes to breaking down a mini/trail bike?

I enjoy wrenching but have limited size sockets/wrenches. I was going to remove a neck bolt on a trail bike and realized I didn't have the proper size tool for it.

I'm looking to buy singles as apposed to a set with sizes I'll never use. I have a basic set of wrenches and sockets to work on my car. Under 3/4" stuff mostly.

Minimichael

Yeah a couple good adjustable wrenches, big and small. Even an 8 inch pipe wrench for getting creative. You may also want deep sockets for the larger sizes mentioned: 9/16, 11/16, 13/16, 15/16. And I just love my ratcheting combination wrenches. Wish I had more than four, because my 3/8, 7/16, and especially 1/2 and 9/16 see a lot of use.

Lizardking

It's the 3/4 11/16 13/16 15/16 sizes that I need to add. I have most everything else I need except an impact wrench with sockets that I will add to my list.

Lizardking

Probably goes without saying, but for any other people who come across this thread and read it, metrics would be needed for Chinese mini bikes or working on Honda/clone engines.
How about the Taiwanese mini bikes? I remember reading that some were assembled here but made in Taiwan.

Last edited:
hi! Metric Wrenches and Sockets:5mm,6mm,8mm,10mm,12mm,15mm
Wrenches and sockets with inch thread 1/4 inch, 5/16 inch, 3/8 inch, 1/2 inch
may also be useful:
Allen keys 4 mm, 5 mm and 6 mm, cassette sprocket and spoke wrench, bottom bracket wrench
Purchasing custom keys or sockets that you will use regularly on your bike will be cost effective and convenient.