Spare parts: Manco Chopper

I threw together this bike this past fall, mostly out of used and spare parts. Picked up the frame at a spring swap meet, it was just the frame, shocks and sissy bar. I later found the seat from the same seller, although he made me pay extra for it. It had overspray all over it, but I was able to get almost all of it off. Surprisingly the vinyl is still nice and soft, although there are a few small tears at the corner. I swiped the backrest from my Trail Horse chopper, but it's only temporary- it doesn't quite fit the contour of the bar so I'm going to have to make a new one. It had mis matched shocks(different lengths) so I rebuilt a spare set of Sebacs I had kicking around. The suspension works really smooth now.

The forks are leftover from my Bonanza chopper, they were a little tweaked and the chrome was not great. I bought a repro set years ago, and was going to sell these OG ones to help offset the cost but luckily (or lazily) never got around to it. I was able to get them pretty straight in my shop press, and welded shut the egged out holes for the neck bolt and drilled new ones. A couple of bronze bushings and the steering is now nice and tight. The legs are longer than the stockers, so the front end is a little high. I could drill some new holes to lower the front, but I'm diggin the rake:thumbsup:

I already had the wheels and a couple different sprocket adapters. What I found out though, is the standard webbed adapters for these wheels come in a couple different depths, and the round, hockey puck (think Trail Horse bikes) type was thicker still. All of them put the centerline of the back wheel in the wrong spot, so I ended up getting the correct one piece sprocket for this bike. Scored it on ebay for under $30 bucks:smile:

The engine is a period correct, minibike specific H35. Original paint! Scored it off of CL, but all I did was pay for it. I never would have found it on my own, Delray actually told me about it, and turns out it was right in my backyard (Thanks Brian:thumbsup:). It had the wrong tank, exhaust and recoil but it ran good with no smoke or noise. Ended up running a new Max Torque clutch with a band brake setup, and the clutch cover is off an old Ruttman.

After I got the axle spacers cut, throttle and brake working nice and smooth it was time for a test run. Somehow, in the six months or so since I bought the motor it lost spark. Yanked the flywheel and threw in a NOS set of points and it fired right up:thumbsup:. For a 3.5HP, it sure has a lot of power, and if you lean all the way back it'll dump you right on your ass!
Got it all dialed in, rode it around for a couple of days and was ready to take it to a local minibike friendly car show. Thought it was all good, but now it starts right up, however it won't rev. At first I thought it was carb related but that's not it. I believe the flywheel key is prob sheared, but haven't had a chance to dig into the ignition side yet.

markus

:thumbsup: Those Delta 1's definitely feel "tippy" compared to other choppers I have had. There balance point was not good for an adult :laugh: You know what I tried and fitted, but honestly never tested under power was I used the brake drum from one of those Arctic cat brake assemblies you can get for next to nothing (see link below) to replicate the original band brake. I spaced it out and got it all hooked up but never got any farther than that before the bike got sold and shipped out west. I could never find a band brake drum with the right hole pattern, The arctic ones of course used those wheels so that part was at least plug and play.

NOS 4" Drum Brake Assembly w/ 3 Hole Mount for Bonanza, Manco, and Thomas - Old School Mini Bike Parts & Stuff

:thumbsup: Those Delta 1's definitely feel "tippy" compared to other choppers I have had. There balance point was not good for an adult :laugh: You know what I tried and fitted, but honestly never tested under power was I used the brake drum from one of those Arctic cat brake assemblies you can get for next to nothing (see link below) to replicate the original band brake. I spaced it out and got it all hooked up but never got any farther than that before the bike got sold and shipped out west. I could never find a band brake drum with the right hole pattern, The arctic ones of course used those wheels so that part was at least plug and play.
Tippy is an understatement! Riding wheelies can get a little spooky on that thing. It's actually pretty comfy for such a little bike. I have another one that I was planning on running a HS50 in, that one should really be a handfull:blink: Yep, those wheels came off of an Arctic Cat I parted out years ago. I also tried one of those universal sprockets with the internal drum brake that Enginepowered sells, but I just didn't like the "fit".
That chopper has the perfect retro chopper stance, I really like it. Nice work.
I like it! thems some pretty good spare parts. You need one of those helmets with the spike on top :thumbsup:

45t

Cool build. I've done a couple bikes that way and It's always neat what you can build with spare parts, :thumbsup:

Cool build. I've done a couple bikes that way and It's always neat what you can build with spare parts, :thumbsup:
I had most of the hard to get parts in stock, so when I saw the frame I had to have it. The only new parts I had to purchase were the chain, bearings, clutch, brake band and cables. I consider this one done, I'm not gonna paint it.

WOWZA!! AWESOME JOB MARK:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:It lives!! I wanted to tear into it a while back to figure out what went wrong, but truth be told I had no where to do it. My shop is such a mess right now you can barely walk through it. Brian says to me, "Mark, you have a problem". "My response? Yeah, my problem is I need more space:laugh:"

Pulled it outside yesterday, and after about ten minutes I figured out the problem......Sure enough the flywheel key was sheared throwing it out if time. Seems the last jackass that had the flywheel off didn't tighten it properly:rolleyes:

Tossed it back together and it roared back to life! Took it up and down the street a few times and it was running real good, until............Bang!!! Screeeeeeeeeeech...........grind grind grind..........WTF was that? Hit the kill button and, nothing. Still running. Great, first it won't start, now it won't stop! Hit the backup kill strap, and checked out the carnage.
Turns out The bolt holding the band brake came loose, then the nut fell off and the band and cable walked off of the clutch. Tore the brake cable all to hell,bent the band, and ripped the stop wire in half. Pushed it back home, bolted the brake back together (locktite!!) and I still have to fix the kill wire, but other than some rash on the cable housing it's good to go!!

I guess that is why they have test pilots . It always amazes me how many things happen during shake down runs . Just when you think everything is tight , aligned and fastened down , it all falls apart . Makes a believer in not trying to see how fast it is on the first test run . Running them on the test stand helps some .
Mark are you going to take the chopper to Vintage Torquefest . They would love it there .

I guess that is why they have test pilots . It always amazes me how many things happen during shake down runs . Just when you think everything is tight , aligned and fastened down , it all falls apart . Makes a believer in not trying to see how fast it is on the first test run . Running them on the test stand helps some .
Mark are you going to take the chopper to Vintage Torquefest . They would love it there .
No kidding, I try to stay close to the house the first few runs just for this reason. I'd love to go to TF this year, if I do I'll definitely bring it:thumbsup:
high 30's today mark .........road trip test........:scooter:
Ha! It's already sleeting here. I hit a couple of ice patches yesterday and that was enough for me. These choppers ride kinda weird, you sit in it, not really on it.
I'm going to try and get the clutches for the Super Bronc back together today, I've had the rebuild parts since our last ride..Those are fun in the snow!!

delray

you might need a old heater box off a ariens 4hp snowblower for the chopper today...:laugh: keep the carb from icing up...:scooter: have fun.....:thumbsup:

Hey Mark just bring the Flexo down to my garage . It is heated and the welder is in here now because I used on Monday . Going to be to cold for any test riding for the next couple of days . But bench racing is possible . No robe and slippers for me .