Spark but no fire

Triley41395

So I bought what I now know is a gemini mini. The motor has spark but will not fire. Don't know if it makes a difference but it's an hs50. I changed the plug and checked for spark but still not firing. Can a blown head gasket cause this or low compression, I have not checked that yet. Any suggestions. Screenshot_20210919-074226_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210925-070358_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210925-070427_Gallery.jpg

Triley41395

Start from scratch….check timing….I’d put in new point and condenser too, why guess it’s ok….
If I grab the coil wire and pull it will bite me and if I put a plug in it I do see spark but I didn't think about timing. I think my next step will be to change the points and plug again and if that doesn't work have it timed. Being new with these engines I'll have someone time it I'm not confident I'd do it correctly. The timing video on here looks pretty straight forward though.

mustangfrank

Triley41395

Have you tried to start it on starting fluid?
I tried starting fluid and it still didn't fire, I also took the carb off a running engine and that didn't work so I took carb completely off, just the intake and no fire. I know pulling the plug and spraying starting fluid in and putting the plug in and pulling usually gets them to at least fire but it didn't work. When I bought it the motor had a new China carb. Plug and he said new points. My guess is he was having the same problem as I am and gave up.

Triley41395

My money is with massacre & Skipp.

I would definitely take ''at least'' that rusty old chain off before trying to fire it again also. ;)
Chains off along with the motor. I put a 4hp tecumseh on it and got'er riding. I really want to put the motor that it came with back on. It will probably take me a couple weekends but I'll take everyone's advice and start from scratch Screenshot_20210930-112141_Messenger.jpg

Triley41395

Glad you are now riding.

That 4 horse tecumseh is probably closer to what was on your bike originally ?
I'm pretty sure it was a 4 hp originally at least from what I can find. The 5 that it came with appears to be from 73 so who knows. I robbed the engine off my rupp so it definitely can't stay but I really wanted to ride it.