Spark Plug keeps fouling

I have a kawasaki 3.5hp engine on my minibike...the spark plug keeps fouling up....when it won't crank i'll buy a new spark plug and it will start right up but it only lasts a few days. It's a cj-8 spark plug. Any suggestions? thanks:confused:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The carb is to rich, may even be oil blow by past the rings, or you may have a blown head gasket. Either way something is fooling the plug. (oil?, or gas?)

i adjust the mixture with the screw on the carburetor? Which way makes it richer or not? -sorry i'm a chick with her first bike and need directions.

You'll be lucky if your carb has any adjustment screws on it...

The Federal EPA act of 1984 required small engine manufacturers to preset carbs for emissions levels, and most aren't adjustable by the owner now...

Most of us have at least one that runs too rich and fouls the plug...

One of my solutions is to change the air filter to a less-restrictive type...this lets in more air to mix with the slightly excessive amount of fuel you're already getting...

On an engine that is tuned well, switching the air filter and changing out the exhaust for a less-restrictive 'header' type also requires rejetting the carb to allow for more fuel to pass through the (now) free-flowing intake/exhaust path...

On a poorly tuned engine, the excess fuel sent through the intake by an overly rich carb setting isn't able to burn completely, leaving an unburned residue all over the combustion chamber, valves and spark plug...

Decreasing the restrictions in the intake and exhaust pathways allows for more complete combustion of the fuel, increasing performance, and decreasing unburned, fouling deposits...

In other words, take advantage of an overly-rich, non-adjustable carb by putting on a free-flowing air filter and a header exhaust...

The performance of the engine will increase noticeably because it is now able to completely burn that extra fuel the carb is letting through the intake...

delray

donkeypop,what type of kawasaki engine do you have? would it be a flathead engine that kawasaki use in 1969 and up to the 80's?

carb should have a idle adjustment and a fuel adjustment on the bottom of the carb. this also will have a float. if you can't get it to run right you may want to take the carb apart and clean it out with carb cleaner and check the float level too:thumbsup:
i am not sure where you can get parts? you may want to check a kaw-dealership.

Hey..it is a kawasaki FA130D! Thanks for all the tips..it's the weekend so i'll start messing around with it....sure i will have more questions soon. Did these engines come factory on these bikes? My bike i believe is a Bird....though the plate says Phoenix Engineering, and the decoration plate said "Falcon" Just curious...want to know everything i can about it. thanks guys!

Just put in new spark plug this morning...rode my bike for about 45 mins. and tonight went to start it and it wouldn't crank took out the spark plug and it's already looks fouled. Right after i bought the bike i had to replace the fuel line....so i put a cutoff valve in middle of the line.....i turn it off everytime i'm done riding and cut it on before i start it......this is not a problem right??

your problem is your kawasaki engine!!! hahaha its prob blow by (oil getting past the rings) as yellow hand said you dont have to much control with the carb and if you had a blown head gasket it would run like hahahaha when it dose run...