Speedometer

I think a bicycle speedo would work, if it will let you program it for such a small wheel circumference. Mounting the sensor on the fork leg or rear frame rail would be easy, and you could mount the magnet to the either wheel or the sprocket w/a little JB Weld or epoxy. My pal had one on his dirt bike for awhile and it worked fine, except the hardware (especially the wire running up the fork leg) was too light weight to handle getting dragged through the brush for very long. The speedo on my bicycle is wireless and very reliable. It cost about fifty bucks. The ones w/wires are much less expensive. It's been awhile since I programmed it. I'll take a look at the instructions to see how small of a wheel it will accept.

Last edited:
Instructions place no upper or lower limit on wheel size, simply enter the circumference in millimeters. I suspect that all bicycle speedos work like that.

The instructions say the wireless fork leg sensor and the handle bar unit should be w/in about 2' of each other. Easily done on a mini.

The fork leg sensor and the handlebar unit each has its own battery. They're expensive like camera batteries and they normally don't match, so a 2-pack doesn't help. At least they last a long time.

The type that has a wire running up the fork leg is much less expensive, only needs one battery and will probably have all the same other features. I think you can get a cheap wire-type unit for less than 20 bucks. The skinny little wire will probably last OK on a mini because it doesn't have to tolerate the 12" stroke of a dirt bike fork. That's what killed my buddy's. It fatigued from the flexing.

On both types the magnet is designed to clamp to a spoke and needs to pass very close by the sensor. If your bike has steel or mag wheels, the challenge will be finding an effective way to attach the magnet to the wheel so it stays put and meets the sensor clearance requirement. I'd use JB Weld or 2-part epoxy stick.

There's always a chance that it just won't fit, discovered only after you've got JB Weld all over the magnet and can't take it back to the store. That's why I'd start w/the cheaper, wired-type. Try to take a look at one already attached to a bicycle.

Last edited:
I have the inexpensive wire types on both my doodle bugs. Got them for about 6 dollars apiece delivered from E-Bay. I tried mounting at first to the sprocket on the rear wheel but the ignition system on the engine kept resetting them as soon as the engine was started. Move it to the front wheel and glued the magnet to the inside of the rim. mounted the sensor to the front fork and the readout on the handle bar. Works great. I use the one on the stock doodle bug with the 80 tooth rear sprocket to keep from overrevving the engine since the govenor is reomved. 23MPH is about 4000 RPM.

I have the inexpensive wire types on both my doodle bugs. Got them for about 6 dollars apiece delivered from E-Bay. I tried mounting at first to the sprocket on the rear wheel but the ignition system on the engine kept resetting them as soon as the engine was started. Move it to the front wheel and glued the magnet to the inside of the rim. mounted the sensor to the front fork and the readout on the handle bar. Works great. I use the one on the stock doodle bug with the 80 tooth rear sprocket to keep from overrevving the engine since the govenor is reomved. 23MPH is about 4000 RPM.

I bought a wireless one for 10 pounds on EBAY. It works great. Heres some shots: