Speedway resto-mod help

Got this poor butchered Speedway frame last night. Came with a pair of 14" wire wheels. Sadly, the brake units are missing, the sprocket is toast, and the forks need rebuilt.

Do to the extensive mauling this frame has been through, I am considering doing a resto-mod. I have a 110cc pit bike engine I want to put on it. I would also like to upgrade from mechanical drum to hydraulic disk brakes front and rear. Outside of that I am planning to rebuild the bike with as many OEM/OEM replacement parts as I can. Fenders, tanks, lights, etc.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Welcome, Friend!
If you don't mind my saying so, I think that frame is pretty far away from needing OEM parts. It does look like a great project and it should be a great rider. Generic parts are easy to find. GokartsUSA , Gopowersports and Ebay are good places to look. Be patient and you should be able to find all you need to get it back on the trails. Junkyards have tons of scooters to get parts off of. They have brakes front and rear already.

joshua. c.

If those forks are stuck I know how to free them up. I had to free up a set for my speedway.

pop the rubber boots up out of the way to acces the screw on top then grab it with vice grips and un screw it. Put a sacrificial bolt threw the axle mount and hammer down on it hard many times to remove the tube bottom. Once the assembly is apart everything is still going to be a bit of a tight fit so you have to clean everything up to make it move correctly, requiring some sanding If i remember right (its been years). Then greas it up and reassemble. Also try not to brake anything, parts are hard to get.

joshua. c.

I dont know if these will be of any help but I got these for a member with a missing motor mout plate. With these it should be posible to make a new one.

First is the rear view

Second is the top

Therd is the side

DSCN0200.JPG

DSCN0199.JPG DSCN0201.JPG

DSCN0203.JPG DSCN0204.JPG DSCN0205.JPG

Welcome, Friend!
If you don't mind my saying so, I think that frame is pretty far away from needing OEM parts. It does look like a great project and it should be a great rider. Generic parts are easy to find. GokartsUSA , Gopowersports and Ebay are good places to look. Be patient and you should be able to find all you need to get it back on the trails. Junkyards have tons of scooters to get parts off of. They have brakes front and rear already.

Yeah. It's definitely a long way away from needing stock parts. I am mainly only looking for a few OEM items. Mainly the fenders and brackets, fuel tank, and maybe light mounts.

My vision for the bike is to make it into a mini enduro-cruiser. I have a 110cc semi-auto engine to put on it. Trying to decide if I want to rebuild and modify the forks for disk brakes, or replace the forks with new ones.

It's going to be a long term project any way I go with it.

If those forks are stuck I know how to free them up. I had to free up a set for my speedway.

pop the rubber boots up out of the way to acces the screw on top then grab it with vice grips and un screw it. Put a sacrificial bolt threw the axle mount and hammer down on it hard many times to remove the tube bottom. Once the assembly is apart everything is still going to be a bit of a tight fit so you have to clean everything up to make it move correctly, requiring some sanding If i remember right (its been years). Then greas it up and reassemble. Also try not to brake anything, parts are hard to get.

Thanks for the tips!

Is there someplace selling new fork boots and bushings? Sadly, the bushings are missing and the boots are split from age.

Since I would like to upgrade to hydraulic disk brakes front and rear, I am considering replacing the stock forks with some aftermarket ones from someplace like GoPowersports.

I typically don't cut up vintage bikes, but as the pictures show, some methhead already butchered the poor thing. That said, I do want to make a "phantom" out of it. I have a 110cc semi-auto engine I want to put on it. My end goal is to have a miniature enduro-cruiser that looks like it was factory made as a prototype for a new model.

I've done a few speedway restomods and have used both speedway wheels and pit bike spoked wheels. Adapted hydraulic discs on some as well. I may have posted threads on them I'll look.

Any help I can get would be awesome.

I want this bike to ultimately look like a 1970's factory made prototype next gen miniature enduro-cruiser. I have a 110cc semi-auto shifter engine I want to use on it. I'm debating between rebuilding and modifying the forks for hydraulic disk brakes, or replacing the forks with new ones from GoPowersports. I intend to build it to "street legal", even if I can't get it licensed for street use.

I'll be watching for updates. That sounds like an awesome goal. You will need a rear wheel that can mount a very small sprocket, like less then half the diameter of the wheel.

I'll be watching for updates. That sounds like an awesome goal. You will need a rear wheel that can mount a very small sprocket, like less then half the diameter of the wheel.

I will try to remember to post updates as I go along. Will be a very slow build unfortunately. I have a number of projects ahead of it:

2 trailers
3 custom go karts (2 to sell, 1 for my 9yo)
1 custom full suspension shifter buggy
1 custom B&S 6.5 powered Doodlebug minibike
1 custom fat tire minibike for my better half

"After" all of those I will finally get to my Speedway, another unidentified vintage minibike frame I acquired (unless I can identify and sell it as is to a restorer or something), and 3 more buggy projects for myself and some family.

joshua. c.

Thanks for the tips!

Is there someplace selling new fork boots and bushings? Sadly, the bushings are missing and the boots are split from age.

Since I would like to upgrade to hydraulic disk brakes front and rear, I am considering replacing the stock forks with some aftermarket ones from someplace like GoPowersports.

I typically don't cut up vintage bikes, but as the pictures show, some methhead already butchered the poor thing. That said, I do want to make a "phantom" out of it. I have a 110cc semi-auto engine I want to put on it. My end goal is to have a miniature enduro-cruiser that looks like it was factory made as a prototype for a new model.

Ebay might have parts from time to time but you may have to buy a hole front end. If you want to go custome just do it, at the end of the day its your bike to do with as you pleas so go build something cool. Alot of custom bikes look way better than stock ones anyways and as long as you do it right I don't think anyone will complane.

I do custom builds for all of my stuff. I don't think I have one vehicle to my name thats fully stock.

If you do build this bike I'd like to see how it comes out, it sounds like a cool idea, are you going to do a build thread?

Ebay might have parts from time to time but you may have to buy a hole front end. If you want to go custome just do it, at the end of the day its your bike to do with as you pleas so go build something cool. Alot of custom bikes look way better than stock ones anyways and as long as you do it right I don't think anyone will complane.

I do custom builds for all of my stuff. I don't think I have one vehicle to my name thats fully stock.

If you do build this bike I'd like to see how it comes out, it sounds like a cool idea, are you going to do a build thread?
I will try to post a build thread or two. Thanks for the tips.