Springer Fork Extension Idea

Minimichael

I'm wondering what you all may say about this idea for squeezing another inch out of the length of my Arctic cat forks. My idea is that they're resting higher up inside the triple tree housing than they need to be (by at least an inch). I haven't said they're higher in their tree than they should be, just higher than they need to be. Seems like it anyway. Now, the springs are 8" long, and have loops on either end which hold the forks in place about mid-way (let's just say) within their larger tube housings. Springs are secured at the top of the tube housings by a bolt, through the spring loop, and in a through-hole near the housing's top. I could lower hole by drilling a new one through the housing to then secure the spring and fork tube in that lower position, but I don't want to drill more holes in my triple tree. I could buy longer forks, or search for longer springs, but I don't want that either. So I'm thinking I could install an extension (a hat, of sorts) onto the top end of the spring, to mount and hold it in place at a lower position. I been googling and found words like "clevis" and "eyelet" kinda get me in the ballpark. I haven't found a slam dunk, but the attached are at least the ideal kinda shapes I'm thinking would be most efficient. Anybody tried anything like this? Any better ideas? Words to the wise? Screenshot_20230404-183153.png Screenshot_20230404-173545.png PXL_20230405_011441354.jpg

Last edited:

Minimichael

I don't have the tooling for it. Plus I think I'm getting closer. Drove into work thinking about just a roughly shaped and drilled aluminum cylinder. I must've slept on it right. Well enough anyway.... PXL_20230405_163321629~2.jpg
I should be able to shape two of these with my drill and hacksaw.

Last edited:
In harley front ends we cut different lengths of pvc pipe depending on how stiff OR long you wanted your front end…

unless I’m reading it wrong?

oh I see your springs need a bolt to keep in place…. Bonanza did the same thing…stupid design

Minimichael

Skipp: Yeah I was thinking plastic or whatever but I'm afraid it'll crack and get stuck in the housing someday. But you do have me wondering about your Harley-design fixes. Anyway this is that simple springer design. Beefier than rupp, but maybe that's not saying much either.

Last edited:

Minimichael

So I have a new challenge tho...as of last night. The new springs don't fit the old forks. I wanna say I ran into this last time too. (Ended up sending them back and keeping the originals before. But this bike did come with a broken spring, so...) The width of the spring is correct, in fact, but the bends at the end loops swing out slightly -- beyond the circumference of the spring body diameter. In other words, the spring ends are bulkier than the bodies. Of the 4 ends, the least bad one can be twisted and jammed into the fork about an inch before it grinds to a stop. It's like I need to either bend the ends inward a touch if that's even possible, or reaming the fork interiors and sanding the exteriors of the springs -- or all 3?

Plus I'm thinking a short length of pipe now, rather than solid slug, for my extension adapter. Sat down to do some actual math last night...
PXL_20230406_163521524.jpg

Last edited:

Minimichael

Heating and/or bending springs doesn't seem wise to me, but what do I know? Sanding to remove material from the coil, especially near the attachment loop, seems like an equally non-genius move.

Called the seller and he's looking into making this right.

Last edited:

Minimichael

The seller's sending a new pair of springs, which they've modified to solve the problem. Heat and bend. Maybe these springs fit them rupp black widows, too? Maybe they fit better..

Anyway, I'll update again ...for posterity if nothing else!

Just put it in the vice and make it flatter. But for the extension idea you are over complicating it. Just make piece of sheetmetal with a couple holes in it. Like 1/8" thick. Thats what super broncs have they dont have eyelets on the end just ribbs on the sheetmeat piece that thread into the spring. Maybe cut the eyelet off and do that so you dont have to bother fitting a bolt into the tube

Minimichael

Gotcha. So like a strip with teeth, for threading into the spring? Maybe I'll look at super broncs. I would think they could get misaligned between left and right, over time at least, and impacts. No? Good for adjustments tho

And yeah the vice was next for sure, except I paid like $50 for them and wanted to give the seller notice I was about to, and he did it for me instead - with a pair I now don't have to buy. I was afraid I might crack them first and then have to call...

Anyways I'm off to the races and that's what counts. Thanks Jeep.

Last edited:

Minimichael

In harley front ends we cut different lengths of pvc pipe depending on how stiff OR long you wanted your front end…

unless I’m reading it wrong?

oh I see your springs need a bolt to keep in place…. Bonanza did the same thing…stupid design
Skipp — how did you use PVC to effect a stiffer ride? I get the longer part. I also don't know motorcycle suspensions...

Displacement…you add a half inch pvc you squash the spring half inch….makes for a stiffer ride and takes sag out of weak springs….that’s when keeping stock frond end and springs…probably an amateur move, but it’s worked for me for years..

we actually used it on a evo fat bastard front end too…