Standard vs. Space?

I'm looking to buy some new chain. I noticed today that there is standard and space chain. Are there any gains with "Space" chain? Until today I never knew about space chain.

Kenny1

Ive also seen the "space chain". I think it would look neat. Would also save a bit of weight. But I am thinking you might run into issues with it wanting to skip a tooth on the clutch. Especially on only 10 or 12 teeth.

Kenny1

Ok, my bad. Just looked up space chain. I was thinking of the chain where every other pin is missing and each link covers two teeth on the sprocket.

Yeah, I just wonder what it's purpose is. I have seen it on some sites as "racing" chain. Ususally more expensive, but then found 4 feet of it for only $14-15. I just need some chain that's really reliable I guess. I am not running something super modified or anything. Just dont want to worry about it breaking.

Last edited:

Kenny1

You know, I was at Home Depot yesterday and in their nuts and bolts isle they had chain in the drawer with the master links. It was like $12.00 for a roll of 10 feet for standard #35 chain. At that price you cant go wrong.

Thats cool! I would have never thought to check there. I have one right around the corner from here. I gotta go there for some copper pipe anyway.