Starter ropes snapping

tdk

We're trying to get this bike running (engine runs) but everytime we start it up it jerks the rope back into the housing and snaps it. I've taken apart the driven part of the pulley and cleaned the rust off of it thinking maybe it's grabbing the rust--haven't reassembled. Could this be it or what other problem/fix is needed? Also I don't know what the bike is--do you?

From what I read that you posted, The rope on the recoil is snapping on you, I do not think the TAV Clutch has got anything to do with that.
If the starter rope getting jerk back in and breaking the rope, I would take the recoil off and see if the teeth are retracting back into it, If not, You need to lube it up and get the teeth to retract back in like there suppose to do.

All of the balls in the recoil engagement assembly have to be tracking freely...if even one is dirty or the track is burred up it'll stick in the engagement area and snap back.

They're not difficult to disassemble and clean...once you've removed the 4 screws holding the blower screen onto the flywheel, the cover can be popped off the recoil engagement assembly for cleaning and a lightweight oil added...

There is a trick for getting the balls back in easily...

BTW, nice bike...BearKat?

:doah:Oups!, I,m bad!, I for got those old Briggs have the ratchet system built into the front of the flywheel. I,m too use to Tecumseh recoils. Do what Yellowhand said.

Rope Snaper

We're trying to get this bike running (engine runs) but everytime we start it up it jerks the rope back into the housing and snaps it. I've taken apart the driven part of the pulley and cleaned the rust off of it thinking maybe it's grabbing the rust--haven't reassembled. Could this be it or what other problem/fix is needed? Also I don't know what the bike is--do you?[/QUO

Last edited:
From what I read that you posted, The rope on the recoil is snapping on you, I do not think the TAV Clutch has got anything to do with that.
If the starter rope getting jerk back in and breaking the rope, I would take the recoil off and see if the teeth are retracting back into it, If not, You need to lube it up and get the teeth to retract back in like there suppose to do.
I actually bought my Fox from a guy that had the same problem. I removed the belt and it didn't jerk the rope back in. Loosened the belt..ran fine. Like I said..just a suggestion. Sometimes the simple solutions are overlooked. :thumbsup:

gbones

All of the balls in the recoil engagement assembly have to be tracking freely...if even one is dirty or the track is burred up it'll stick in the engagement area and snap back.

They're not difficult to disassemble and clean...once you've removed the 4 screws holding the blower screen onto the flywheel, the cover can be popped off the recoil engagement assembly for cleaning and a lightweight oil added...

There is a trick for getting the balls back in easily...

BTW, nice bike...BearKat?
what is this trick that you speak of? my method of getting the balls back in is to lay the engine on its side, so i can just place the balls down and screw the screen back on. works for me.

what is this trick that you speak of? my method of getting the balls back in is to lay the engine on its side, so i can just place the balls down and screw the screen back on. works for me.
yup thats how i do it. i usually dont lube them at all. but if you feel the need to. use atf

Yeah, that's it...lay the bike over so the engine isn't vertical. Sounds simple or even stupidly apparent, but I've seen some novices try to do it with the engine standing up...with heavy grease to hold the balls in place...it's fun to watch.

It could also be the drive belt, or a sticking driver, or a timing issue as others said...I just offered up another possibility...best bet is begin checking each thing it could be and eliminate the things that seem to be working properly.