Stiff bearings on new rim.

So for my mini bike project I figure wheels and rims are a good idea. So I bought some.
haha.

The rear rim for a CT200 or BT200x has stiff bearings, i popped the rubbers and added more of my own grease, however, the problem appears to be bearings that are pounded in to hard, whereas the centrepiece of the bearing is protruding, meaning the centre is tight up against the rim hub.

Will this wear in over time? I could pop them out a bit, but upon tightening the axle, I figure I'll be back to square one.
I can still rotate them with my finger, but not easily.

Don't worry about it, it's nothing?

mustangfrank

So for my mini bike project I figure wheels and rims are a good idea. So I bought some.
haha.

The rear rim for a CT200 or BT200x has stiff bearings, i popped the rubbers and added more of my own grease, however, the problem appears to be bearings that are pounded in to hard, whereas the centrepiece of the bearing is protruding, meaning the centre is tight up against the rim hub.

Will this wear in over time? I could pop them out a bit, but upon tightening the axle, I figure I'll be back to square one.
I can still rotate them with my finger, but not easily.

Don't worry about it, it's nothing?
You might need a bearing spacer on the axle in between the bearings. Do a search, it's a well debated topic.

You might need a bearing spacer on the axle in between the bearings. Do a search, it's a well debated topic.
There is nowhere for a spacer to go, the bearing centres are flush with the axle tunnel, just enough room for a axle bolt to slide through, and like I said, the centres of the bearings protrude, because they are being pushed out by the ends of the axle hole making the bearings a tight fit in the bearing housing.
It's not a lack of a spacer issue, it IS the spacer that is the issue.

mustangfrank

There is nowhere for a spacer to go, the bearing centres are flush with the axle tunnel, just enough room for a axle bolt to slide through, and like I said, the centres of the bearings protrude, because they are being pushed out by the ends of the axle hole making the bearings a tight fit in the bearing housing.
It's not a lack of a spacer issue, it IS the spacer that is the issue.
Well there you go, is the spacer too long?

Rear-Wheel-and-Rear-Rack.jpg

One thing for sure, they won't get better on their own. Coleman wheels do have a crush tube (inner spacer). I suggest buying new bearings (even if current ones were good, you'd probably ruin them when removing), make sure the crush tube is proper length (162mm per Coleman) and drive new bearings in by outer race only, stop when inner race contacts crush tube. The inner race is supposed to contact the crush tube, that, combined with the outer spacers, which also contact only the inner race, prevents side-loading of the bearings. If you have no crush tube (inner spacer), the bearings will be side-loaded (pressure applied to inner race by tightening axle nut is resisted by outer race) and the bearings will fail quickly.

http://3546502.shop.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.3546502/sc.27/category.19083/ctype.SS/SS.19083/.f

One thing for sure, they won't get better on their own. Coleman wheels do have a crush tube (inner spacer). I suggest buying new bearings (even if current ones were good, you'd probably ruin them when removing), make sure the crush tube is proper length (162mm per Coleman) and drive new bearings in by outer race only, stop when inner race contacts crush tube. The inner race is supposed to contact the crush tube, that, combined with the outer spacers, which also contact only the inner race, prevents side-loading of the bearings. If you have no crush tube (inner spacer), the bearings will be side-loaded (pressure applied to inner race by tightening axle nut is resisted by outer race) and the bearings will fail quickly.

http://3546502.shop.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.3546502/sc.27/category.19083/ctype.SS/SS.19083/.f
Are you inferring as I read between the lines that outward bolt force in, will crush (or squeeze the spacer tube), which sounds to me like that alone will counteract the protruding side loaded bearing centres, which in turn will free up the bearing side loading?.

However,... it got me thinking.
Maybe they compensated for the force of a tightened nut?
The outer spacers (between the frame and bearings) apply force to the inner race of the bearings, this force is resisted by the inner spacer (AKA: crush tube) which also contacts only the inner race of the bearings. This prevents the previously mentioned side-loading of the bearings.