Still an original survivor or not?

Hi everyone...it's me Darin again with the dual Bonanza project. I've had so much positive feedback on my little machines that I've at the very least commited to cleaning them up and seeing if I can bring back at least a little of their beauty....but here's my question...

If I disassemble the mini bike to clean it up...not disassemble the engine but all components taken off the chassis so I can really clean it up...does this mean that it is no longer original or a true survivor?

I am considering removing everything from the chassis to really give it a complete cleaning. I also wanted to try to get the BC1500SH running again? Would that reduce the originality of the bike or the value? I also wanted to put some new tires on it but the original Carlisles that are on it are no longer available. What to do in that situation? What if I break one or more of the bolts during disassembly? Does that effect the value?

Please let me know. I am really getting excited about this project. I'm sorry for all the questions but I thought this was the right place to ask.

Thanks a million...
Darin:shrug:

oldfatguy

The best thing to try first is a can of GUNK engine degreaser, don't take any thing apart just spray the whole bike and let the stuff work for about 10 minutes then hose it off. They might clean up good enough to leave them as is until you are ready to do a full restoration
http://jleibovitch.tripod.com/id241.htm
here are some pics of finished bikes

Last edited:
Darin, Your minibike did not come from the factory covered with grease, oil, dirt and grime. Therefore, cleaning and removing those items would only take your bike back to factory original condition. As far as doing anything else to your bike....the schools of thought are all over the map. Unless someone bought a minibike back in 1967 and immediately put it in a plexiglass case there is no such thing as "Original". You can bet that any minibike that is still around after fifty years has had something fixed or replaced on it. So I wouldn't worry about the labels too much because everyone has a different idea about what original, or barn find, or restored, or ground up restoration, or factory new condition means. I know guys who will spend years tracking down the original sewing machines used to sew the upholstery. I suppose if it was possible they would dig up the guys who did the original welding too. Bottom line is....Do what makes you happy and have fun working on your project. Oh, and by the way, let me know if you need a shovel. Ogy

Gettin to work today...

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll do exactly what you suggest and just clean it off first...then move forward on figuring out if a restoration is in order. I'm still a bit confused about tires...I realize I can't get the original tires, but is there a suitable replacement that I can get? Let me know...

Darin:thumbsup:

hanapaa90504
Good decision..:thumbsup:
Be careful when using solvents on paint they will destroy the finish.
For rust removal I recommend a product called Evapo- Rust you should be able to pick some up at your local Harbor freight.
Make sure before you do anything to take detailed photos of every last nut and bolt placement as well as wheels , brakes etc.
Also Bonanza didn't use Carlisle tires they used General and if I recall there's some on eBay.
Keep us posted on your progress

Tires...

I'm pretty sure these are original tires and they did say Carlisle on them. They are the 5.30x4.50-6 size. They've got a big blocky tread pattern. They look cool so I wish I could get replacements, but I guess thats not going to happen?

Thanks again...

Darin

the tires in your pics dont look bad are they dry rotted? If they just have a few cracks here and there iv had great luck super glueing them. I use CA glue from the hobby shop. Just squirt it in the crack and wipe off the excess and hold the gap shut while it dries. Good as new

Hi everyone...it's me Darin again with the dual Bonanza project. I've had so much positive feedback on my little machines that I've at the very least commited to cleaning them up and seeing if I can bring back at least a little of their beauty....but here's my question...

If I disassemble the mini bike to clean it up...not disassemble the engine but all components taken off the chassis so I can really clean it up...does this mean that it is no longer original or a true survivor?

I am considering removing everything from the chassis to really give it a complete cleaning. I also wanted to try to get the BC1500SH running again? Would that reduce the originality of the bike or the value? I also wanted to put some new tires on it but the original Carlisles that are on it are no longer available. What to do in that situation? What if I break one or more of the bolts during disassembly? Does that effect the value?

Please let me know. I am really getting excited about this project. I'm sorry for all the questions but I thought this was the right place to ask.

Thanks a million...
Darin:shrug:
A sympathetic restoration will keep you in the survivor slot, getting the BC1500 running will only increse the appeal and that enhances the value! As far as worrying about a broken bolt just use a good penatrating lube on any questionable fastner! Dont hollar before you're hurt! A broken bolt does suck but far from the end of the world! Great minibikes, I am envious! Good luck!

Definitely not for sale now guys. I'm cleaning them up still. I'm not near done yet but finding that it goes way slower than I had hoped. Like I mentioned I will likely give you guys the first shot at them before doing the ebay thing if I choose to do that. The way they're looking its not likely that I'll sell...however...if I do sell...it's going to be someone who appreciates them and appreciates the fact that they're still all there. Thanks for keeping your eyes open though.

Darin