stock 5hp Tecumseh

Nova

I have a 5 hp tecumseh on my minibike and it feels weak. Is there any way i can beef up the motor without changing the carb and keeping a cheap budget?

Hey Nova

Let us know about your setup. What model 5hp, what kind of clutch, how many teeth on clutch and sprocket, what size tires. You can do a few little things to help it out. The 3 easyest are header, air filter, and remove the governor. Those 3 things will make a good difference. Brandt at www.ruppparts.com has all the parts for the hs50.

Josh

Hey Nova

You have one of the newer OHV engines. Im not sure if Brandt has stuff for it. One of the first things you need is an adjustable carb! Then you can tune the engine better for your mods.

Ive never taken the governor out of an OHV engine. Im sure someone here has. I like the old school Tecumseh flat Heads. Big blocks H and HM models.

Josh

Hey Nova

You can get one from a Tecumseh H50, or H60. I gave one to my friend from a H50 and it worked well on his OHV6.5. You can try ebay. Ill take a look and post what i find.

Josh

KB2ROCKET

1.take off all the govenor stuff on the outside of the block then remove the govenor stuff inside the crankcase
2.drill and tap the hole that that had the shaft that connected the inside stuff to the outside stuff put a bolt in the hole with some loctite on it to plug the hole
clean up da mess and reinstall the side cover and add oil
in other words remove the govenor arm / the arm shaft /and the gear with the flyweights on it . then tapp the hole and plug it with a bolt
its pretty easy if you break the govenor removeing it big deal after all you didnt want it in the first place :)