street legal minibike madness

Hi :D

I seem to have come down with a minibike sickness this summer.. I bought a used Baja Doodlebug, slapped a Predator 212 on there, and decided I'd try to register it. But lo and behold, it's hard to do that..

But now I'm simply determined to make it happen.. I must have a street legal minibike. I added a front brake, lights, mirror, blah blah.. but nope. Illinois wont let me title it since the frame was built as an offroad vehicle. But if I build it, that's a different story, supposedly.

I don't think buying a minibike kit counts as "building" the frame myself, but I bought an Azusa kit anyhow. For giggles I guess, but also to practice, and look at something besides Doodlebug stuff. I'm obviously going to have to learn to weld and bend and cut tubing, so I also figured a naked kit minibike would be a good way to start that process.

There are sooo many hiccups along the way, which is frustrating, and fun, and expensive all at the same time. I love it. :)

But where should I post specific questions? Do I start a build log or something? Just ask random questions as they come up? I could start like 4 or 5 different topics!

Help! I'm new! :confused:

Welcome. You picked the right place. These guys and gals here are top notch. Your in the right place to ask questions. When you figure out what your gonna do and are ready to start you can post a project log and document and share your journey.

Good luck. I would love to have a mini that I can ride on the rodes with no issues.

Look at any street legal moped and there are your requirements. DOT tires. DOT brake hoses, turn signals, mirrors, headlight, taillight, brake light, horn, and a certificate of origin to start with.

In Illinois at least, the most obvious route is that of a "Specially Constructed Motorcycle". The items on their checklist that matter are: Headlight, electronics horn, taillight, 2 separate brake systems (both must activate brake light), mirror, and a lighted plate mount.

So I added those things:

After meeting those requirements, I learned that the Certificate of Origin is the real showstopper. To top it off, there's a VIN etched onto the frame which comes back as being for an offroad vehicle, which means Illinois simply won't bother looking at it, ever.

But... I WAS able to obtain a "rebuilt vehicle" certificate, which provides an alternate route for registration. However, it seems to be a dead end. Or maybe I just have to walk into the DMV like I know what I'm doing?

You may have found something there. Those tires are not DOT approved though.

What is going to power the lights? And which motor?

WLB

Go to a steel supplier and buy several lengths of tubing and save the receipt, make some minor modifications to the frame, and tell them you made it from scratch. If the original frame had a serial number weld over it and smooth out. Save all receipts from parts. The big thing they are looking for other than you meeting the lights, horn, turn signals, etc rules is that you paid sales tax on the parts.

Usually getting a title for a scratch built bike or car is no real hassle. Meet their rules and they give you a VIN number. The hassle will come when you try to insure it to get your plates.

Those tires are not DOT approved though. What is going to power the lights? And which motor?
The stock tires were definitely not DOT approved, but I purchased an extra wheel and 2 tires that have DOT stamped into them. Does that make it "DOT approved"? How does that work exactly?

Go to a steel supplier and buy several lengths of tubing and save the receipt, make some minor modifications to the frame, and tell them you made it from scratch. If the original frame had a serial number weld over it and smooth out. Save all receipts from parts.
I think that's what I am going to try to do with the Azusa kit that I got. Does anyone know exactly what type of tubing is used on them?

I was completely clueless about metal/shop/machine related stuffs before being infected with the minibike bug. I'm learning a lot along the way, but some of the basics still elude me.

WLB

With that generic looking frame I doubt you would actually have to change anything. Just add brackets for your lights. Use a micrometer or even a wrench to measure the diameter of the tubes and buy a length or two of the same diameter. Wall thickness is not critical. Anywhere from .095 to .120 would be fine. Keep receipts for all parts.

I should have mentioned this about welding over frame number. If the number is an official VIN that came with a title or Certificate of Origin, it would be illegal to weld over it. If the frame did not have a title or Certificate of Origin and only has a manufacturers production number it should not be illegal to weld over it.

I too always wanted a street legal mini. The easiest way for me was to buy a used Honda Mini Trail and register it for the street. I know laws vary by state, but it was easy to do in CA.