Swirl... Or not to Swirl... That is the question.

How many of you guys remove the Swirl from your B&S carbs?

I've been tinkering with a clean, little 3.5HP B&S I/C for the DB-30 swap. I plan to replace the diaphragm gasket set on the side of the carb, before I button everything up.

I was reading some information on how to 'Blueprint' a 5HP B&S carb for a kart racing class & one of the modifications they perform, is to remove the swirl.

Now... I'm not 100% certain that I know exactly what all the swirl provides & under what conditions it may be beneficial to have. Hell... I don't even know if this engine has a swirl or not. Do all the 5HP & smaller Briggs engines have the swirl?

So... What does the collective wisdom have to say about the almighty 'Swirl' and its impact upon the grand scheme of things?

Thanks
~JM~
I sure hope I get some sleep tonight thinking about this Swirl.

I guess Id have to see it...

From my Airflow analysis class, we were told to leave the intake track rough after porting and to only polish the exhaust side. Reason being you didnt want fuel to puddle and run into the engine if it fell out of the intake charge.

I was a also told to not remove the step in the intake track on Chevy Vortec heads, as it introduced some swirl and tumble to help keep the fuel in suspension.

I know it doesnt answer your question, sorry.

Motra

I have a book about modifying the 5HP Briggs. It states, "The swirl actually helps in restricted motors, and makes starting easier. It is removed in other classes of motors." Restricted engines are, literally, restricted by a plate mounted inbetween the carburetor and engine, it reduces the size of the intake. It seems that I've read elsewhere that it does give better low end and throttle response to leave it in stock engines. In high performance engines it's removed simply for increased flow.