Taco 22 new build

I had a Taco 22 in 1964 and since Tacos are being built again I asked my good high school friend help with the build . He’s a champion kart racer and is Hyper Racing Engines , it’s going on two years and getting close . It will be on display at car shows in the back of my 1965 F100 named White Lightning. Powered by a past Tasca Ford 428 Cobra Jet . Terry is painting it the correct Wimbledon white.

Attachments

Is your "good high school friend" Terry Nash? If so, my son worked at his engine shop in Upland, CA as an intern years ago when he was in high school. It was a great experience and he learned a lot about building small engines.
Michael

Yes Michael, nice to meet you , I’m Jim . Terry and I went to high school together. He’s doing a one off “ Nash T-Bolt “ ; total professional engineering, including a rear fix caliber disc brake . Terry has built a 7100 rpm , 18 hp Hyper “ engine for it . Your son would probably like this special Taco build . We lived in Upland and my daughter Becky graduated from upland high in 2000

Attachments

I also picked up a completely new re build of a frame number stamped 1968 Taco 44 , done by another mini bike enthusiast in Hollister Ca. It’s Mac 49 was rebuilt. After sitting for years it fires and stops . I’m thinking carburetor, old fuel , and the petcock leaks . Any ideas to get it running again? Thanks Jim

Attachments

Last edited:
I have a 1969 Honda too ! He has its optional windshield as well
Mine's a 67:D "old pics" It took me a few years to put togeather a set of the rectangular blinkers with the fuse type bulbs, but I couldnt figure out how to re wire it up. I have a 6v motobatt wired up to a battery tender, a modern retifier, electronic blinker module & a vintage Honda blinker buzzer accessory to remind me to turn the #!@* blinker swich off when im done turnin.... The wireing is all mis matched & doesn't all plug togeather correctley due to nos part diferences "had to take what I could get". Wired it wrong & poped one of the hard to find bulbs & you cant really access all the wireing unless its out of the frame. Once its out, I can lay it all out & visulise it all better for troubleshooting & re wiring & installing correct compatible connectors propperly. The guy that painted it did an "ok" job but it started peeling off the gas tank because I had it appart & tipped on its side too long. So I thought what the heck I'll restore it again more correctley & not cut so many corners this time & repaint it black. Ive learned the hard way, I rather have a rough survivor vs a motorcycle not built right...

Attachments

Last edited:
All my cool rides eventually get names ! My 65 f100 Cobra Jet is White Lightning, thus it’s mini me will be Thunder bolt . His fast uncle is rolling thunder (1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone 4speed 289)

Attachments

Off to our local bike shop today , S90 for tubes and tires and check carburetor adjustments, and the 1968 Taco 44 with the Mac 49 for getting it started again , I brought new carb gaskets IMG_1798.jpeg

race

Love to see a vid of the Taco / Mac in action buzzing down the street when you get it sorted out. Don't see enough of the classic two-strokes anymore. One of these years I'll get my Taco 44 / WB 820 project built.

BTW - I'm in the S90 club too. A '67.

Rock Store 05-29-22.jpg

Love to see a vid of the Taco / Mac in action buzzing down the street when you get it sorted out. Don't see enough of the classic two-strokes anymore. One of these years I'll get my Taco 44 / WB 820 project built.

BTW - I'm in the S90 club too. A '67.

View attachment 306274
Your S90 is a beauty for sure . My Mac49 has no muffler , wow he’s going to be loud . You’re right, a video would be amazing . My 1963/ 4 taco 22 had one on it and a 305 scrambler clocked me at 55 mph with a scrub brake ,thankfully I’m still alive . Not sure about how accurate my buddy’s accuracy was ? I’ll be reliving a teenage memory. Yes to a video

race

Pic was at the Rock Store off Mulholland Highway.

If you're running that little stub header it will probably sound something like this -

Don't know who that is but it's been up on YouTube forever. There are Mac guys around still that probably have repops of mufflers for your engine. Maybe a GEM or Azusa header. A Horstman would be really nice but would need some sort of custom flex header to attach it. Then you still have two spouts to deal with and trying to avoid cooking your legs or the fuel line.

Wow what a cool video and a purple Taco 44 like mine? Very coincidental.. we leave the cold north Idaho from December through April . We spend two months in the Coachella valley, Indio , Palm Springs, the Feb and March in pacific beach, San Diego. I’m picking up my finished Nash T-Bolt and will try riding it some , probably won’t make it all the way to the Stone side diner . Besides it would draw a crowd and I wouldn’t be able to eat . But pictures are coming

Taco 22 , Nash Thunder bolt updates , ready for test ride , removable kick stand and custom Nash chain guard in un finished state . Starts on one pull , Terry is getting it mechanically done first. Then disassemble for final painting etc .

Attachments