Taking Apart a Rupp Roadster Suspension

Can you take apart the front suspension for a Rupp?

I don't know if these things are threaded together. Everything is pretty rusted and I don't want to break anymore parts by hammering on them. Anyone know if they can come apart?

mseg

You have some work ahead of you, I would remove the front tire and triple tree/fork assy from the frame. Get a can of WD40 turn the assy upside down and hose it down for a couple of days with WD40. The springs hold the forks to the head and can be turned (once loosened by WD40) to take it completely apart.

markus

like others have said, once the wheel assy is off you simply unscrew the bottom fork form the spring and the spring from the tree. There is also a plastic bushing inside the upper fork section. you want to remove it before you start sandblasting, powder coating or anything like that obviously. its a little tricky I found I was able to push it inward took some thin tape and covered the inner groove that bushing sits in grabbed an ear of it with some needle nose pliers and pulled fast it would come right out. I'm sure that this makes no sence whatsoever if you aren't to that point yet, :smile: But I may help when you get there:wink: If that bushing looks really buggered or weak and brittle use caution, but I have taken apart a few pretty nasty frames and they (the bushings) were always pretty solid still.

Last edited:

markus

I believe that if you compress the springs there are sort of clips (kinda like what would hold a spring retainer to valve). this of course can be tricky and possibly a little dangerous for your fingertips if you do not have a secure way to compress and hold the spring! I did a larger coil over off a buggy I built years ago, it was eiaser to take apart than to put back together! I appears to just be some sort of platsc retainer/clip on the Spanish made Rupp shocks I was going to take apart my set but I ended up bidding and winning a pretty decent set off ebay, I was able to just scrub up the chrome tape it off nad sand/paint the black

my old ones were say 8 footers (look good from 8')

The fresher set are say 2 footers :)

Last edited:
like others have said, once the wheel assy is off you simply unscrew the bottom fork form the spring and the spring from the tree. There is also a plastic bushing inside the upper fork section. you want to remove it before you start sandblasting, powder coating or anything like that obviously. its a little tricky I found I was able to push it inward took some thin tape and covered the inner groove that bushing sits in grabbed an ear of it with some needle nose pliers and pulled fast it would come right out. I'm sure that this makes no sence whatsoever if you aren't to that point yet, :smile: But I may help when you get there:wink: If that bushing looks really buggered or weak and brittle use caution, but I have taken apart a few pretty nasty frames and they (the bushings) were always pretty solid still.
Is this the bushing your talking about?

I was just going to leave it in there and tape is off when I sandblast and paint.

/QUOTE]

Why does your bike look identical to mine but yours is a Scrambler and mine is a Roadster? Whats the difference?

markus

Is this the bushing your talking about?

I was just going to leave it in there and tape is off when I sandblast and paint.

/QUOTE]

Why does your bike look identical to mine but yours is a Scrambler and mine is a Roadster? Whats the difference?

Yes thats the bushing. You can leave it in if you want I like to pull them out and defunk everything. You do have to take it out if you decide on pwdercoating though!

the bikes offered by Rupp were usually based on the same frame but optioned out differently. In 1970 the scrambler was the lowest end 10" wheeled. it was 3.5hp no fancy muff, no lights no front brake, the enduro was 4hp, front brakes no lights, the roadster was 4hp lights, dual brakes. Everything else was the same. They had a 6" wheeled bike too, the sprint, I think that it was the same frame still, but used different fenders and at least rear shocks. They offered three colors in '70, red, orange, and blue in that year, I believe that the tank was always silver(?) The only oddity I see now and again in the 1970 bikes is some of them had a little bracing right behind the head of the frame and some did not, I dunno why yet. And they look similar to the '71 up bikes (with exception to the forks), but there are differences everywhere on the bike, keep that in mind when/if you start parts hunting and you are trying to keep it year correct.